• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Ivanacara Adoketa

Xenaph

Hi,

I'm finally receive my Ivanacara Adoketa after three month to wait.

I got 8 adoketa no sexable from Thailand, they suppose to be F1 and they length 3-4 cm at this moment and i really hope to have 1 or 2 female to get two pairs in my cube 55G (30"x21"x20"). Many hiding place for them.

I have a L-129 in the tank itoo 4" (max length) and everything is good.

My ph is around 5,5-5,7
Temp: 27-28
Gh: 0
Kh: 0
Ada malaya aquasoil

Here a video, it is difficult to catch them because they are always hiding under something.

Xenaph

I have a question about setting,

I read a lot on Adoketa, not many thing on the web. Someones said 77F or other said 81-82F.

So what is the best temperature i need for them ?

Thank

wethumbs

5 Year Member
There are plenty of spawning reports on the web. They are not too particular about water parameters and temperature.

As for your L129 pleco, they don't get that big. Full grown SL is less than 3". L129 and L340 comes from the same place but L340 gets abit larger. L129 adult pattern will fade out (washout to an overall greyish coloration) while L340 does not. L340 also has a yellow to orange overall color tone to it while L129 is more of a cream color.

Xenaph

Ok thank.

I have the pleco since 1 year now and he never grow up. So maybe it is 3".

I think i have a major issue to fix, the fish breath very fast since i put them in the tank.

The tank is running without fish since beginning of September, i have check the setting and i saw the pic of ammonia, nitrite etc. and all setting was at 0 in beginning of actober.

I put the Adoketa the 31th october in the tank, and ammonia is at 0.

Tonigth, it is at 0.6 wtih ph 5,5

What i need to do ?

There a video feeding, but they always breath like this.

wethumbs

5 Year Member
They are really tiny. I haven't seen anyone selling them at that small a size. They look fine though, probably didn't come from water with pH of 5.5 resulting in some minor gill damage which would be the reason of heavy breathing.

Xenaph

They are from Thailand. The guy dont want sell it, they prefer to sell them at medium size where they can sex it and sell them highter price. So i really want it, no body have it in Quebec and they accepte to sell it if i pick up 8...at 25$ each.

The some minor gill can be repair ?

I add a air pump, put 10ml of arm guard (remove ammonia) in the tank, and this morning they look better. Breath fast but not like on this video.

Boran

Xenaph

I cant change the pH so they will be good, i mean they will be able to live and adapt to my pH ? My aquasoil ADA malaya shut down the pH around 5,5 and a lot of website in the web said to have this pH range for them.

Duffmanj

You say 'The tank is running without fish since beginning of September, i have check the setting and i saw the pic of ammonia, nitrite etc. and all setting was at 0 in beginning of actober.'

Did you cycle the tank, either by putting in a source of ammonia or fish? Did it previously have fish in? How long was it empty?

Xenaph

I'm in trois-rivières, i will be able to help you by swapping fish with you Georges.

No fish in the tank since the beginning, my ADA aquasoil ammonia spike after two days running.

Tank was empty last two months. I put my L129 mid october.

I put "Arm Guard" from sachem and the ammonia not show on the test. No nitrite itoo on the test is showing.

But the fish still breath fast.

Duffmanj

I'm in trois-rivières, i will be able to help you by swapping fish with you Georges.

No fish in the tank since the beginning, my ADA aquasoil ammonia spike after two days running.

Tank was empty last two months. I put my L129 mid october.

I put "Arm Guard" from sachem and the ammonia not show on the test. No nitrite itoo on the test is showing.

But the fish still breath fast.

It's only my opinion, but it sounds to me like the bioload may be too heavy. Whilst your tank and filter have had time to mature to cope with 1 fish, it may be struggling with 9. With the tank being empty after the initial ammonia spike there will have been no ammonia/nitrites for the bacteria to feed on.

Personally, I would try and get some filter squeeze (literally someone elses mature filter squeezed into water) and make small daily water changes.

Are there nitrates present in the tank?

Xenaph

No nitrate in the tank.

I squeeze my sponge filter of my 15G in the tank.

Today, some breath a little more low, otheresle breath normally.

What you mean my bioload is too heavy ?

Duffmanj

With a completely cycled tank (ammonia into nitrite, nitrite into nitrate, nitrate being the end product of the cycle) I would expect to see some nitrates present, assuming that you're feeding as normal.

The bacteria replicate quite quickly, I can't remember the exact figures though.

When a tank is cycling, the bacteria accumulate and process the ammonia and nitrites build up to the level of the toxins in the tank (the bioload). So, if you have one fish, there is only enough bacteria to handle the wast produced from that one fish. The more waste there is in the tank, the more bacteria will build up as effectively you're feeding it.

Introducing many fish quickly (even if the tank has been fully cycled) can result in the bioload (the amount of waste being product) being more than the bacteria can process. They will multiply to the point of being able to handle the current bioload, but this can take time, adding more bacteria from another tank (like you did with the filter squeeze) should help to speed this up massively. This is of course dependent on other factors such as the volume of water in the tank and the rate of your filter.

This is how I understand it and may not be 100% scientifically correct but I hope that it helps! If I'm correct I would say you should see a vast improvement within the week.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
No nitrate in the tank.
You definitely will have some nitrates. You can't rely on test kits to give you even ball-park figure results. If you can add some more plants, particularly floating ones with access to aerial CO2, they should improve water quality.

Have a look a this <http://plecoplanet.com/?page_id=829>, I wrote it specifically for plec keepers, but it is relevant to all fish keeping, and despite its title "Aeration and dissolved oxygen in the aquarium" it mainly deals with biological filtration.

cheers Darrel

Xenaph

I cleaned up my filter, the filtration was max out and does not work very well.
Since, they look very beautiful, i will update a video tonight.

Duffmanj

They're amazing, I don't know about a female...I'll have another look tomorrow I'm on my phone now and it's not so clear

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wrothgar

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….