• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is this a female Agassizii DR?

Jazzyper

CA6D35BF-B749-4F4A-ACC6-FD8239A3E88C.jpeg
7EBE799C-6BDD-4E51-A9E7-B072C6492933.jpeg

Hello
Could someone please help me figure out if this is a male or female? I bought it as a pair and was told it should be a female (first apistos that I’ve had so I’m not that great at sexing them). I’d say it’s about 3/4 of the size of the definite male, but I’ve struggled to find any guides on how to sex them well, and have very little experience with them, so would love for someone more knowledgeable to confirm with me :)

Thanks very much

Jordan

Based off the rays being rounded and not sharp I would say female, although I do have a female Cacatuoides with pointed rays so it doesn’t always run true, I havnt kept Agassizii but I’m in the process of trying to get my hands on a pair for a Rio Nanay Biotope, how does the male act towards this one?

Jazzyper

My guess is that it is a small male. Females rarely show much blue spangling on the face nor red tips on the dorsal spines.

Okay, that’s sort of what i was worrying about haha. The male is chasing this one around quite a bit now, and they’ve both sort of coloured up quite a bit. Gonna try to get a few better pictures and I’ll reply again with them here.
This one is also hiding a lot.
Might have to bring it back to the shop and swap it out though I guess then.

Jazzyper

AB82618B-29F7-441A-9B06-FD391FCABA6E.jpeg
22339BE4-78E7-4162-8A86-EA05ACD30B63.jpeg
EFB8A204-A925-4D69-8EE9-180A66978DBA.jpeg
Ok so I managed to get a few pictures, but they aren’t quite as good, since this one is constantly hiding more now. Here they are.

Thank you guys so much for your help :)))

Jazzyper

I ended up swapping this one out for another (hopefully female) fish, but now I’m kinda worried it may be a cheeky male again lol.
I’ve tried to find tips on sexing Agassizi, but I seriously can’t find any good guides or anything. From what I can tell it seems to have a sort of female looking tail shape, but the colouration appears to be kind of male looking.
Mike, what do you think of this one?

Also do you guys have any tips on distinguishing them?

View attachment 8191 View attachment 8192
A5E33F64-9786-4023-820E-13FAB4B6D42D.jpeg
323547D8-C68C-45E4-BFAA-C107E5DBE29A.jpeg
DC567461-B874-4A2D-8E0B-7788B62B9952.jpeg
F6CC59F4-A26C-4F75-A374-BFB4373BFC3D.jpeg
0A09AF54-D95B-4421-A115-FEB4C53851C0.jpeg

Jazzyper

Linus, rotala h ra, but I’ve been pretty slack on co2 and dosing so they are looking very average at the moment haha.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I ended up swapping this one out for another (hopefully female) fish, but now I’m kinda worried it may be a cheeky male again lol.
I’ve tried to find tips on sexing Agassizi, but I seriously can’t find any good guides or anything. From what I can tell it seems to have a sort of female looking tail shape, but the colouration appears to be kind of male looking.
I'm really poor at sexing and ID, but I'm pretty sure that one is also a male.

Have a look at Bob Wiltshire's Web site <"http://www.dwarfcichlid.com/Apistogramma_agassizii.php">.

cheers Darrel

Ade205

I feel your pain lol! Gender Id in Apistos can be a very frustrating experience!

For me this fish is very confusing! Iridescent spots signify male, though I've females with a fair few, and also the extension of the black lateral band into the caudal suggests male, yet to me the Dorsal looks very rounded and female! My guess though would be male at this point. Hopefully Mike will be along soon to end this speculation!! How big is this fish?

Ade.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
This one looks more like a female than the last one. The problem with domestic inbred strains is that females can take on male colors. See how your male behaves toward this fish. If it 'yellows up' you can be fairly certain it is a female.

Jazzyper

So after some observation, the male seems to be chasing the ‘female’ around quite a lot and it seems to be hiding a lot, spending lots of time in their coconut cave or behind plants. Occasionally they will both hang out together, most often in the evening. Mostly the male chases the ‘female’ after a bit though.
Also here are some more pics
0E78CAE6-D02D-4741-8608-6A1799806F21.jpeg
C4859B17-57D2-4792-B4F8-047A6683046B.jpeg
7D1F264E-44B4-4116-B3C7-50EADC0EC2BD.jpeg

vpik001

I have the same issue and similar look “female”. My thread is below your on the forum. I am waiting for Mike’s opinion.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I understand your and vpik001's problem. When I can't be sure of sex I always get at least 6 specimens of mixed sizes that don't look like males. I usually get females this way. I know many can't house or afford so many, but it sometimes is needed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….