• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Igarape Prosperitate

Sil

5 Year Member
Hi,

I'd like to ask you about Igarape Prosperitate - a small creek that enters the lower Rio Preto, a tributary of the middle Rio Negro in Brazil. As you probably know, this is an area where Uwe Romer conducted many habitat studies of Apistogramma in the wild.
I'm planning to arrange one of my tanks as precisely as possible following this creek biotope. I collected some information basing on CA1... but it's still not enough for me. The one thing that's sure is that I'll keep Taeniacara candidi and Dicrossus filamentosus.
I'd be grateful for any information concerning:
- characidae and catfish spacies native to this area;
- plants (submersed, immersed and riverside as well);
- water chemistry and parameters
... and everything else (e.g. photos of this biotope).

BTW... Mike, I found on this forum your information that Igarape Prosperitate it is locality 4 on figure 4, page 121 in CA1. Is this surely correct?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Römer provided the wrong coordinates in his 1992 paper, and provided the coordinate corrections in his 1994b paper. The proper coordinates for the Igarapé Prosperitate are: 00º 09.47' N / 64º 07.11'W. If you find these coordinates on a map, they are the same as location 4 on page 121 of CA1.

Römer (1998) lists the following dwarf cichlid species from the Igarapé Prosperitate (location F9/91R): A. diplotaenia, A. gibbiceps, A. paucisquamis, A. pertensis, Crenicichla notophthalmus, Dicrossus filamentosus, Laetacara sp. Orangeflossen and Taeniacara candidi. Besides these fish he lists the following from the same location in his 1994b paper: Aequidens cf. pallidus, Mesonauta sp., Moenkhausia sp., Paracheirodon axelrodi, and [trans. from German] "various presently unidentified tetras and catfish as well as Lamp-eye Killifish" [I thought that Lamp-eyes were all Old World species]. Pipa pipa turtles were also common. He also states that the Igarapé Prosperitate is a popular location for collectors who collect Corydoras species. In his 1998 paper he adds the following species: Aequidens cf. diadema (probably the same species as A. cf. pallidus above), Crenicichla cf. inpai, Copella nattereri, Acestorhynchus sp. and Amblydoras sp.

For water values, Römer lists all those available in Tab. 8, page 160 of CA1. He shows most of the biotope photos of the locality in CA1. He has an additional photo of a pool in the Igarapé Peosperitate in his 1998 publication on microhabitat preferences of dwarf cichlids. There are no aquatic plants other than trees and a few sword plants. The bottom is covered by a thick layer of ficus leaf litter.

I hope this helps you. I would like to see your aquarium once it is finished.

Sil

5 Year Member
Hi Mike,
If you find these coordinates on a map, they are the same as location 4 on page 121 of CA1.
OK, I've just wanted to be sure.
Besides these fish he lists the following (...)
Copella nattereri would suit me fine as accompany, but it could be very difficult to get them in Poland... as well as Copella arnoldi. I try to get more information on these "various presently unidentified tetras and catfish as well as Lamp-eye Killifish" 'cause this could be the only reasonable way out.
Thanks for information that some corydoras spacies are located in the Igarapé Peosperitate. I hope somebody on planetcatfish.com will be able to give me more details.
For water values, Römer lists all those available in Tab. 8, page 160 of CA1.
pH range from 4.1 to 5.0... It looks like some fun with osmosis water and peat awaits me:)
I hope this helps you. I would like to see your aquarium once it is finished.
Thanks for all information once again!
I enclose the current photo of my tank - I'll post updated photos as only I will execute the changes.
http://img527.imageshack.us/my.php?image=0038af1.jpg

andris

does anyone know where to find names and description of examined 16 localities pls? the book advises to use a table on page 165 however that table does not exactly give locations on the map.

Römer provided the wrong coordinates in his 1992 paper, and provided the coordinate corrections in his 1994b paper. The proper coordinates for the Igarapé Prosperitate are: 00º 09.47' N / 64º 07.11'W. If you find these coordinates on a map, they are the same as location 4 on page 121 of CA1.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….