• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

identifying apistos...need help...

cmoreash

5 Year Member
Hello, I have good news for myself.

I was shopping for plants at my LFS, and I was looking into a tank full of onion bulbs. Guess what I saw in the back? Some apistos! These were the only apistogrammas I had seen in the store in months. I asked the guy if they were for sale, and he said they came in with the feeder fish, so I could have all 3 of them for 99 cents apiece! :D

One is around 1 inch, one is around 1.5 inches, and one is around 2 inches. I am not sure what type they are. They aren't very colorful right now, as they were in an unheated tank with plants for sale, and I am sure they didn't get much to eat.

Here is what they look like: A greyish body (SLIGHTEST hint of blue). with thick, vertical grey lines that almost reach the bottom of their body. The back fin is pale orange in color. Near their gills, and on the edges of all other fins but the back one are light blue speckles, like the color of the ones on a blue ram. They have rounded fins, and no extensions as of yet. These are my guesses at to what they are: hongsloi, cruzi, borelli.

I really think it is the cruzi, but I am not sure. any thought?

cmoreash

5 Year Member
well, the large one, i think a male, has colored up a bit. he is bluee all over, like the blue on this site's borders. A dark stripe runs across the body. faint vertical bars still exist. His back fin is bright orange, and the others are a creamy orange now, except for the dorsal, which is more of a transparent orangish. He has gotten aggressive, and chases the other two around. I will get some pics ASAP.

Neil

It is difficult to make out the pictures of the largest specimen, and that would be the most instructive, but it might be cruzi or moae. I don't think they are hongsloi.
Is that a blotch on the cheek of the largest?

Neil

I don't think so. I have had piauiensis before and I don't recall their lips being that large.
That blotch on the cheek makes me kind of think that you have a nijsenni complex fish of some sort, but I don't think that's right either, because the smaller fish are showing distinct vertical banding that nijsenni wouldn't. You never know, you might have 2 different species in the 3 fish you got.
Neil

cmoreash

5 Year Member
Yes, I realized the lips are too big for cruzi or piauiensis...hmm...this is tough...the fish are all the same, the small guy is just a youngster, and the medium is like a teenager.

These aren't nijsennis i don't think, because the tails are all orange, not tipped. the the face just doesn't look the same. could it be an eunotus? The big guy sure is moody, chases the others a lot when they come near his caves.

Neil

Same deal. I don't think eunotus has lips like that. There have been quite a few new species coming out of Peru, in the cacatuoides group/ nijsenni complex. This may be one. But the pics are not clear enough to give a lot of important details of the largest individual.
Neil

cmoreash

5 Year Member
Really? I was thinking they slightly resembled cacatuoides, but the color is way different. As for the pictures, I am gonna take some new ones by the end of the week, when I am not busy.

cmoreash

5 Year Member
after closer observation, i discovered something interesting. My apistogrammas have blue and red speckles on their cheeks, very similar to the Apistogramma Morado. I think that rules out the cacatuoides and the nijsseni.

I think this is it now: Papagei. these look really similar to my fish, even if the pictures suggest otherwise. My fish are lighter, and a lot more colorful since those pictures.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonaldStype

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….