• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Ideal tank size…..

MacZ

There is none, that's not a common way to keep them.

Do you want to breed or just a display tank?

anewbie

Depends on the species and if they are different species or same species. Generally speaking none but people have raised colonies of the same species over time (which is a little different than introducing as a group); also many species of apistogramma are harem breeders which makes the question a bit dubious.

Doc52

Depends on the species and if they are different species or same species. Generally speaking none but people have raised colonies of the same species over time (which is a little different than introducing as a group); also many species of apistogramma are harem breeders which makes the question a bit dubious.
Thank you for the advise. I have a 40 breeder I want to put a pair of apisto. Ortega’s and pair of Cacatuoides together on either side with plenty of caves and areas for them to hide and take over. Is it feasible??

anewbie

My guess is that it will end badly; I keep several dwarf cichlid in my 40B and they mostly co-exist without conflict - i had nannacara with cockatoo but my aquarium is extremely densely planted. The two males showed zero aggression towards each other (the nanncara was aggressive towards other dwarf cichlid that i removed); however my understanding (no first hand experience) is the ortega can be a bit aggressive and conflict is more likely. Also my aquarium had extreme level of plants such that the bottom layer easily served the equiv of leaf liter basically meaning a fish could hide just about anywhere. The sad part is when a fish is hiding you have almost no chance of finding it.
-
Anyway back to your question from what i've seen others say about the ortega it can be fairly aggressive so I suspect it might not go well.

MacZ

A. ortegai proved quite aggressive when I kept them. Also the water requirements of A. ortegai and A. cacatuoides are somewhat contrary.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sortof_here

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….