• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

ID This Cacatuoides Please

Robert O'Donnell

Hi everyone,

I have this lone Orange Flash Caca. It's about 1 1/2 long.

Hope these pics are good enough to tell what sex it is.

In the second pic it's up in the right hand corner.

Thanks

Attachments

• DSCN0114.JPG
    DSCN0114.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 301
  • DSCN0111.JPG
    DSCN0111.JPG
    961 KB · Views: 306

wethumbs

5 Year Member
Is a female but the coloration is very light to nonexistent. A nice Orange Flash specimen would have coloration on dorsal, caudal, anal, and even ventral fins. Here is what one of my females looks like in brood care.

Robert O'Donnell

Thanks Wet,

I believe those pics are about 3 weeks old as her coloration seems to be coming out more and more as each week passes plus I have been adding color flakes to their diet.
I have a 20 gal tank that is finished cycling. I have a few hatchet fish and a few oto's already established. I plan on transferring her over and ordering two sets of unsexed pairs. I am going to ask the breeder to try to pick out one male and three females and see how that works out.

Next I have a 30 gal long that I am almost ready to begin setting up which I plan on making a Ram tank. The three EBR's you see in the pics will go in there along with a some GBR's.

And then I have another 30 gal long that will be for another species of Apisto, kind of undecided between Hongsloi Form II or Viejita Red Neck.

I am setting them up one at a time though, making sure the tanks are cycled completely, plants well established, take mates nice and healthy etc, etc.

Here's a pic of the 20 gal set-up minus the Caca's.

Thanks again for the assistance.

Attachments

• DSCN0126.JPG
    DSCN0126.JPG
    968.2 KB · Views: 286

wethumbs

5 Year Member
I always tried to get more females than males and advertised trios or even quads on AB but no one wanted them. Everyone just wanted pairs. I got a tank full of 'Orange Flash' that are of breeding age right now. Guess what people been ordering them as....PAIRS!

I can just see it now, as soon as I 'tailor' the sex ratio closer to 50/50, people will be asking for trios or quads. I just can't win.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….