• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

ID strangest eunotus complex I´ve seen

jose_vogel

5 Year Member
I bought this fish from an importer who decided to work in another job. In a tank there were 9 A. sp. "Rotpunkt", 5 A. agassizii, 1 A. panduro and the pictured fish.

Taking in account the mixing of the tank, it could be a colombian o peruvian fish.

First of all, the fish seems to be a regular A. cf. eunotus "Orange tail", although you could see something like abdominal stripes. But when the fish become adult I could see "eunotice" traits (forehead, dorsal fin, body shape, colour and shape of the caudal fin, colours and shinning of the cheek) but he develops a very strong abdominal stripes a strange (for an eunotus) lateral band (I always see this fish with a very disolved lateral band that turns in zig-zag shaped blotches) and a very strong red/orange colour caused by the wedge of the scales.

Now, the pics:

DSC01716.jpg

DSC01715.jpg

DSC01713.jpg

DSC01704.jpg

Of course, you can see he has a strange dorsal fin but I think it´s something inherited.

I think it could be A. cf. eunotus "Orange-belly" (A 76) or one of the very variable ssp. of A. sp. "Black-breast/Schwarzbrust" (A 80) -in Koslowski´s it says (speaking about A80):
"Melgar (pers. com.) collected similar specimens, usually without cross-striped tail fins however, in blackwater streams, for example in the Quebrada Yaranayuto on the Rio Nanay side of the highway from Iquitos to Nauta (pH 5.4; 13 μS/cm; 25.6°C/78°F)."

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I think that it is A. cf. eunotus; something like the Santa Ana population (A74). It shows similar caudal spot, cheek color and the odd zigzag lateral band.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….