• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

ID Sex Laetacara dorsigera

Kursat Ufuk Coskun

Hello friends. I have 2 Laetacara dorsigera. They are always fighting, one of them is so aggressive and colorful. Can you tell me which one is the male or the female(sad but, you can tell me they are same gender:))? Thank you for your help.

gerald

5 Year Member
I am guessing those are both females, but i can't really see enough detail close-up. Generally, males will have longer points on the back end of the dorsal and anal fins (but these points can get bitten off), and females usually have a more distinct spot in the middle of the dorsal fin ("smeared" spot in males).

Kursat Ufuk Coskun

I am guessing those are both females, but i can't really see enough detail close-up. Generally, males will have longer points on the back end of the dorsal and anal fins (but these points can get bitten off), and females usually have a more distinct spot in the middle of the dorsal fin ("smeared" spot in males).

Hello Gerald. Thanks for your answer. Here is another video(5 months ago)

Kursat Ufuk Coskun

Personally, I avoid sexing & ID from videos. How about some decent photos.
Hello Mike. I want to take some photos but they are always hiding and they are so fast. I uploaded 2 photos(not good photos, sorry).

SAM_5206.JPG SAM_5357.JPG

Bart Hazes

I have a pair that matches Gerald's description. In particular the clear ocellated spot up in the dorsal fin is a prominent difference. The male has two spot-like features where the dorsal attaches to the back of the fish. I just moved one of them tonight. Once I catch the second and they settle in the new tank I'll try to get some pictures.

Kursat Ufuk Coskun

I have a pair that matches Gerald's description. In particular the clear ocellated spot up in the dorsal fin is a prominent difference. The male has two spot-like features where the dorsal attaches to the back of the fish. I just moved one of them tonight. Once I catch the second and they settle in the new tank I'll try to get some pictures.

Thank you Bart. So do you think they are female too?

Bart Hazes

I don't see anything that convinces me one way or the other, but they both look very similar hinting same sex. Lack of dorsal fin ocellus and bit pointy soft dorsal suggest male, but the dark breast suggests female. I've only had my pair for a few weeks and with many fish there can be considerable variation within a species.

Kursat Ufuk Coskun

I don't see anything that convinces me one way or the other, but they both look very similar hinting same sex. Lack of dorsal fin ocellus and bit pointy soft dorsal suggest male, but the dark breast suggests female. I've only had my pair for a few weeks and with many fish there can be considerable variation within a species.

Thank you Bart. Here is another video:

They are acting like a couple but I think they are both female.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….