• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

id please...

volkant80

5 Year Member
27nc4.jpg

This fish isn't the mine.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I believe that it is one of the populations of A. sp. Xingu, probably the form found under the name "A. sp. aff. Peixoto".

It is an interesting photo. It appears that the fish shows a combination of it aggression & fright pattern. It probably was photographed in aggressive mood, but frightend by the camera flash.

Rolo

5 Year Member
Hi,

No, this one is a fisch from the A. pulchra complex, maybe A. sp. Blauspiegel.

The fish, Mike mentioned, is from A. regani complex. The name A. sp. aff. Peixoto is only used in Cichlid atlas 2 by Uwe Römer, so that's maybe the reason, why you don't find anything.

For me, it is the same as A. sp. Vielfleck (Multi-spot), so try to search for this name.

Mike, I don't believe, that the A. sp. aff. Peixoto from CA2 is really from Tocantins system. My guess is, that this is a A. sp. Vielfleck with wrong origin declaration. They are too similar.

regards,
Rolo

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Volkant,

Rolo is correct. The "Red-fin Rio Xingu" is the same species later introduced by Bork in Europe as A. sp. Blauspiegel/Blue-spangle. This photo shows one of the first males shipped by Marco Lacerda (Trop Rio) in 1998 from Altamira. He originally sold it as A. cf. gephyra Rio Xingu. Its first introduction in the hobby literature was by me in the American Cichlid Assoc. journal, the Buntbarsche Bulletin.

Rolo,

Uwe brought me specimens of "A. sp. aff. Peixoto" a couple of years ago. He told me then that this species was supposed to be from the Rio Purus. I was very skeptical of this location. It reportedly was imported with A. sp. Itaparaná. Well, A. sp. Itaparaná is almost certainly the same as A. sp. Chao. I compared photos of Itaparaná with my preserved A. sp. Chao specimen that was collected by the Chao/Cardwell expedition to the Xingu. I see no differences. I believe that A. sp. aff. Peixoto and A. sp. Itaparaná are from the Rio Xingu - not the Purus (I got hints that the location was given to Römer by a German collector who live in Italy, if you know who I mean).

I do not like the name "A. sp. aff. Peixoto". First, the fish does not come from anywhere near the Rio Peixoto (upper Tapajós system). Second, it does not really look very much like the true A. sp. Peixoto - a Xingu-complex that looks much like A. caetei. The problem is that it is not as spectacular as the original Vielfleck. I do not want it confused - or crossed - with the Vielfleck form. I just don't want to add another name to this fish.

We have several geographic forms of robust bodied Xingu-complex fish in the hobby. Among these are A. sp. Xingu, A. sp. Xingu Gold Nugget, A. sp. Samaúma, A. sp. aff. Peixoto, and A. sp. Vielfleck/Multi-spot. I believe that A. sp. Xingu and A. sp. Xingu Gold Nugget are color variants of the same species. They are found above the first major rapids on the Xingu. They are isolated from the other forms and might be developing into a separate species - if they are not already. A. sp. Samaúma, A. sp. aff. Peixoto, and A. sp. Vielfleck/Multi-spot are found below these rapids. They are extremely similar to each other, except for varying amounts of spotting on the body. Stawikowski now accepts that Samaúma is the same species as Vielfleck. It only shows fewer flank spots. A. sp. aff. Peixioto (collecting locality unknown) fits in between Samaúma and Vielfleck, based on the number of spots on the body. I believe that they are all color variants of the same species. When I look at all 5 of these forms (where we know the collecting locality), I see a steady increase in dark spots on the flanks as one moves down the Rio Xingu from Altamira. I believe that there is a good possiblity that all of these forms are geographically different populations of the same species (A. sp. Xingu).

Rolo

5 Year Member
Hi Mike,

Thanks for that explanation.

I do not want it confused - or crossed - with the Vielfleck form. I just don't want to add another name to this fish.

Ah... I see. Now I understand, waht you do. ...but it's still very confusing, because it is still mixed up with the A. sp. Peixoto, which has nothing to do with it. (That was my problem.)

I would prefer to give this fish another name. (Let's call them "Vielfleck 2" (=Samaúma) and "Vielfleck 3" = sp. aff. Peixoto) and see, if anybody will follow us.) :wink:

I believe that they are all color variants of the same species. When I look at all 5 of these forms (where we know the collecting locality), I see a steady increase in dark spots on the flanks as one moves down the Rio Xingu from Altamira. I believe that there is a good possiblity that all of these forms are geographically different populations of the same species (A. sp. Xingu).

Interesting! Maybe you're right? Who knows? ... but at the moment, I would separate the lower and upper Xingú forms into two species (Xingú and Vielfleck) with several local forms.

Thanks & best regards,
Rolo

Rolo

5 Year Member
Does any of you have a photo of the male, which belongs to the same species as the female in the first photo I sent?

Click on the Link I sent in my posting above.

These pictures show A. sp. Vielfleck, but they look nearly the same as the A. sp. Peixoto, Mike mentioned.

btw: @Mike:
Take a look at the second photo (A. Tanke) on the Link.
According to your description, this shouldn't be A. sp. Vielfleck, but A. sp. aff Peixoto, right?
These fishes are wild, imported by J. Gottwald from Xongú ...as Vielfleck, of course.
Unfortunately I have no more detailed information about the location... I will ask for more.

regards,
Rolo

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Click on the Link I sent in my posting above.

These pictures show A. sp. Vielfleck, but they look nearly the same as the A. sp. Peixoto, Mike mentioned.

btw: @Mike:
Take a look at the second photo (A. Tanke) on the Link.
According to your description, this shouldn't be A. sp. Vielfleck, but A. sp. aff Peixoto, right?

Right!

These fishes are wild, imported by J. Gottwald from Xongú ...as Vielfleck, of course.
Unfortunately I have no more detailed information about the location... I will ask for more.

I would be very interested to know. Obviously they are not from the Rio Purus:wink:

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Now I understand, waht you do. ...but it's still very confusing, because it is still mixed up with the A. sp. Peixoto, which has nothing to do with it. (That was my problem.)

Yes, my problem, too. It looks nothing like the true A. sp. Peixoto. Sadly, no one has published sp. aff. Peixoto under any other name but Vielfleck. It is not as spectacular as the true Veilfleck and I don't want people to confuse the 2 forms - although they probably are the same species.

I would prefer to give this fish another name. (Let's call them "Vielfleck 2" (=Samaúma) and "Vielfleck 3" = sp. aff. Peixoto) and see, if anybody will follow us.) :wink:
Sounds good to me. The different forms of A. sp. Xingu-Vielfleck assemblage are on my list of species to profile in the Cichlid Room Companion web site. But first I need acceptable photos of A. sp. Xingu, sp. aff. Peixoto, & Vielfleck.

Interesting! Maybe you're right? Who knows? ... but at the moment, I would separate the lower and upper Xingú forms into two species (Xingú and Vielfleck) with several local forms.
A reasonable approach, in my opinion.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….