• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

ID Please!

ericbullock

5 Year Member
OK...I'm an Apisto newbie but I've always loved the little buggers. I finally acquired a pair from a local store and I need a hand identifying them. There was some question as to whether they were A. Panduro (which they were sold as) or A. Nijsseni. I've managed to get a few decent photos of the "pair" and I'd like to know if they are in fact Panduros or Nijsseni's instead. The one that I think is the female is beating the crap out of the other fish and has since been removed and placed in a quarantine tank.

Here's a picture of what I think is the male:

PanduroMale.jpg

And Here's a picture of what I call the female:

PanduroFemale.jpg

Any help ID'ing these guys will be much appreciated!

Cheers,

Eric Bullock
Rockville, MD

fishgeek

looks like 2 female
and i think nijsseni as the black blotch's on the face are not what i remember of my panduro female
though i am not the best at id

andrew

ericbullock

5 Year Member
OK...I started to suspect that I had Nijsseni's instead of Panduro's. So two females! I'll see if I can track down a male and have myself a nice little trio.

Just so I know, what differentiates the males from the females?

Thanks for the help everyone,

-eric-

fishgeek

also if they are like panduro, thy are not harem spawners more so definite pairs
thy are reputed to be more choosey about there mates and if you put 3 together i would think you unfortunately may loose one

andrew

Apisto ranch

5 Year Member
My panduro male has the triangel on the tail area with the red line going around the outer area of the tail fin.

Here's a picture of the male just to compair i have pictures of my nijss as well I'll post them t later time.
male panduro
100_0810.jpg

the Nijs male
100_1216.jpg

Nijs females
100_1225.jpg

anoher
100_1212.jpg

The panduro females I'l have to find those pictures. But she has a largeblack spot covering her belly area.

tjnelson44

5 Year Member
In addition to males having a streak and females having blotch on the cheek, also look at the ventral fins. The females with have black edges on the ventrals while the males won't.
Trevor

Randall

5 Year Member
Glossostigma elatinoides

Hello Eric,

Nice fish!

How do you get your Glossostigma elatinoides to grow so nicely?

Thanks!

Randall Kohn

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pupps

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….