• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

ID Needed - A. uaupesi or A. lineata?

Drayden Farci

5 Year Member
This fish is reportedly from the Rio Atabapo. I have a female who hides all the time, but she has the same tail shape and pelvic markings. The video might seem long with some boring parts, but hopefully there are enough fin flares and behavioral twitches to help ID this guy. He's still in a QT tank while I finish the 33 Long they will be going into.

Video:

Let me know if the upload doesn't give the option for 1080p. Any help is appreciated :)

It was sold as A. uaupesi, but someone suggested it might be A. lineata, and the seller happens to have both. I haven't been able to find too much info on either, and the info I did find seemed inconclusive from my observations, so I apologize if I missed something obvious.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Hard to say what it is from a low-res video. Personally I have questions with the original descriptions of both species because they were both based on juvenile specimens, so fin development and makings don't exactly match those of mature specimens. Personally, until comparative descriptions - including genetic studies - are undertaken I'm holding out the possibility that they are geographic populations of the same species. That being said, A. lineata occurs in the Río Atabapo, while A. uaupesi is found farther south.

Drayden Farci

5 Year Member
Mike, thanks for the info. Did you change the quality to 1080p? It should be crystal clear once the fish is in focus, but some computers or devices might not handle the quality. It seems this group hasn't had much research put forward compared to the more popular groups unfortunately, as I find these fish stunning with their tall dorsals.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonaldStype

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….