• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

ID and Sex please

Bilbo

5 Year Member
I am sure I already posted this today but it seems to have vanished.

I bought some fish labeled eunotus a few weeks ago. I have kept a similar fish once before but these have different markings so I wanted someone to please ID them and let me know if I have a pair please.

Male (35mm long)
Male1Euno3.jpg

Same fish again
Male1Eunotis.jpg

Hopefully female (30mm)
FemaleEuno1.jpg

and again
FemaleEuno.jpg

These are the same two fish. The top left fish in this photo is the same as the hopefully female above.
EunoPair.jpg

Thanks

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
It looks like a form of eunotus that Mark B. (Microman) had once. He called them "Spaltenfleck/Split-patch". I'm not sure that the 'female' is a female. Eunotus-complex females rarely show any pattern in the caudal fin. It might be a different species. It looks a lot like a male A. sp. Nanay (a.k.a. Melgar).

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Intersting; it just shows how hard it is to ID fish from only a few, less than optimal photos. I would like to see more/better photos, especially of the possible female.

Microman

5 Year Member
It looks like a form of eunotus that Mark B. (Microman) had once. He called them "Spaltenfleck/Split-patch". I'm not sure that the 'female' is a female. Eunotus-complex females rarely show any pattern in the caudal fin. It might be a different species. It looks a lot like a male A. sp. Nanay (a.k.a. Melgar).

It does indeed look very much like A.cf.eunotus"Spaltenfleck" but i dont think there is a female present in the pics.
Mark...

Bilbo

5 Year Member
I got a few new photo's of the new possible female after the previous one (above) turned into a definite male.

The new 'female' seems to be turning too.

But first
Sorry guys (Mike :)) I am not much of a photographer and I don't have much of a camera. Bad combination I know but thank you for any information you can offer.
3 pictures of the same fish.

The poor young girl who spawned these beautiful fish is feeling pretty bad that so far none have been females.

FemaleEuno3.jpg

FemaleEuno2.jpg

FemaleEuno1-1.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The female shows the split Bar 6 (and 7) on the caudal peduncle. This is diagnostic of eunous-subcomplex species. The split caudal spot on the male reminds me of a fish that Mark Breeze found in a shipment. He decided to give it the name A. cf. eunotus (Spaltenfleck/Split-spot).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….