• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

i got eggs hatching but the moldy dead eggs are touching fry

Cocka2

Hi all, I got some apisogrammas a few weeks ago and they had eggs! I took the two pots of eggs out and put them in a 10 gallon, now some of the white dead eggs are getting moldy and touching the wiggling fry. Would this be harmful to the fry? Also how long do they wiggle for? Its been about 1-2 days of wiggling. I am thinking the egg might get even more moldy in a few days. There are only a few moldy eggs, and I dont wanna try gettin the moldy eggs out again cause last time I did that, almost all the fry came detached from the cave I used tweasers. I will try to get a pic if I can find batteries

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Hi and welcome to the apisto forum. Personally, I think you are putting too much effort into your breeding. The female will almost always do a better job of hatching and keeping the larvae clean than we hobbyists. But since you are artificially hatching & rearing the fish, I would treat them like angelfish spawns. Keep the wigglers away from the fungus and use a fungicide (methylene blue or acriflavine) to retard fungus. Once the eggs hatch, it usually takes 4 more days for the wigglers to become freeswimming fry. Good luck and let us know how everything works out.

Cocka2

Yeah I thought it would be a better idea to take them out since I have tiger barbs in there that will probably eat them. Do you think I should put one of the females into the 10 gallon with the eggs? Or will she just eat them?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Just my opinion: a community tank is for keeping a group of fish in a pleasing aquarium. Any breeding that occurs is not important. If fry survive, fine; if not, fine, too. A breeding tank is for breeding. That mean any fish with the breeders won't be a problem for the fry. If you want to breed the apistos, then put the pair in a breeding tank. If it is small (10 gallons/40 litres),then remove the male after eggs are laid - and keep an eye out for aggression.

briztoon

5 Year Member
G'day Cocka2,

Quite a few hobbiest here in Australia keep cherry shrimp in the egg tumblers and tanks, they are artificially hatching eggs in. Apparently the cherry shrimp are very good at eating fungused eggs, but leave good eggs and wigglers alone.

nellyfish22

5 Year Member
What about alder cones????In the U.K thay are a growing trend and breeders,including myself, have had excellent results while using them.

Cocka2

What the heck is a alder cone?... Well most of the fry got disconnected off the cave and most of them went flying off somewhere, who knows if their still alive, I shouldnt of put gravel in there, they might of goten stuck maybe. Hmm I found out my fish had worms on its anus so I picked up some levamisole and dosed it in the bigger tank, I realized there was a bunch of worms on the glass in the fry tank which I've never seen befor and I am sure its the anus worms. Do you guys think its okay to dose some levamisole in the fry tank? I wonder if those baby worms are in the frys yet. I kinda feel like dosing a tiny it of levamisole in the fry tank but dont wanna hurt the frys..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….