• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hyper Aggressive Males

aarhud

5 Year Member
I'm just curious, do you think the aggressiveness of males is genetic or just variable across indivuals?

The nicest A. cacatuoides male I have is aggressive. He is not doing the "seek and destroy" routine, but any other fish are chased until they can evade him. I moved the female I am trying to spawn out of his tank and into her own. I'm going to condition with live foods for two weeks and then introduce the male to the females tank.

I don't think I will add him back to the 125g tank because he tried to claim the whole thing. The smaller male that is currently in the large tank is a lot less aggressive.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Aggression in apistos can be due to many factors. Commonly it's seen in tanks too small or without enough structure to allow individual territorial boundaries. Then again, like people, some just have a bad disposition.

Shane Puthuparambil

Add more structure. Add more caves. Add more plants. Add a few spawning mops. Large driftwood pieces provide plenty of natural holes and territories for these fishes to claim.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….