• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

how to get rid of black beard algae

wreidfishguy

I am redoing my 65 gallon and have removed all the plants I am going to redesign the tank in a Amazon reef lots of lava rock and driftwood but no plants other than may be a nice Amazon sword plant or 2 I noticed that some of my driftwood as well as the heater cord has black beard algae growing all over them I have found peroxide will kill it and I will pull the wood out and scrub it then let dry a couple of days.also I would like to find any fish that Will eat this stuff.Thank you in advance I know someone has the answers I am looking for I always get great advice from the folks on this site

gerald

5 Year Member
Any lighted tank with few or no plants is inviting algae. Personally I'd rather have black beard algae (Audouinella) than some of the others, like green hair/thread algae and blue-green slime (cyanobacteria) which are far more annoying, to me. "BBA" is providing the same water-quality benefits as plants would.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Any lighted tank with few or no plants is inviting algae......"BBA" is providing the same water-quality benefits as plants would.
I'm like Gerald, if you stop thinking about algae as a bad thing, and think of it as the invaluable <"biofilm, aufwuchs or periphyton">, then it becomes less of an issue. We don't know what conditions favour any of the algae, but a large plant mass definitely helps in keeping the tank relatively algae free.

If your water isn't too soft for them, Red Ramshorn snails will graze off the sporelings, but they don't eat the visible tufts.

There are a couple of recent threads on UKAPS that cover this area in some detail, have a look at <"What exactly causes BBA, bacterial imbalance ......"> (Have a look at Yo-han's post on page 3. Johan is also a member of Apistogramma forums), and the very long thread that spawned it <"What exactly causes BBA">.

cheers Darrel

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….