• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How much BBS is too much for fry?

Ben Rhau

Hi, I'm feeding my fry BBS 3 times a day. I can see them eating it, but as these have only been free swimming for a few days now, they aren't very efficient at getting it all. Therefore, I spot feed them repeatedly to make sure they get enough. However, a lot of the BBS is getting lost in the leaf litter/mulm and I'm getting hydra. I don't think the adults can clean up the rest of the BBS that I spot feed, because the mother chases them away.

I have info on how to treat the hydra from other threads, so my questions are more about feeding and water changes.
  1. How do I know how much to feed? Is the strategy to overfeed and then compensate with water changes?
  2. During the water change, is siphoning from the top sufficient, or do I need to siphon the substrate? I'd like to clean the substrate, but am afraid of disrupting the fry.
  3. My typical routine is 25% WC weekly, or 12.5% twice a week. Is this enough for healthy fry?
Thanks

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
This is what I do; others will have different opinions. I feed only enough bbs so that none, or almost none, are visible after 5 - 10 minutes. I do 10 - 15% water change every week from the top of the tank for the first 2 - 3 water changes after fry become freeswimming. After that I gravel clean. I do water changes of 25% every 2 weeks on all of my tanks - except tanks with small fry. Then it is like above. When I change from once each week to once every 2 weeks depends on how the fish appear - and how lazy I am at the time.