• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How many species in a tank?

cootwarm

5 Year Member
Hi FiDeltaGamma,

In general, it's not recommended to keep too many Apistos together. Especially when breeding. But I think it depends alot on the species and the temperment of the individuals, as well as the structure of their habitat.

Dr. Romer writes in his Cichlid Atlas that A. bitaeniata does very well in colonies of 10 to 20 individuals in a large tank. He states that there is more aggression with 2 - 5 individuals than with 10 - 20. I've read from that other species also have more aggression in smaller numbers than larger numbers.

In my own experience,

I have a 30 gallon tank with 6 adult A.borellii and about 40 juveniles(1/2" to 3/4"). They do great. Almost no agression at all. The adults are 3 males and 3 females. When ever the dominant male threatens the other 2 males, they just turn on their 'female' look and the dominant male calms down and goes about his business. I'll soon be moving the juvies to a 55 gallon tank to grow out and make room for more spawns. I think borellii will do well in a colony in a larger tank.

I also have a 30 gallon with 7(3m4f) adult viejitas. There is a lot more aggression in this tank, but there are plenty of hiding places so it's not a problem. However, spawning hasn't been very successful in this busy tank so I'm planning to remove 2 pair to leave a trio (1m2f).

I also have 7 A. trifasciata in a 10 gallon tank. Although they are a smaller species, I think they need at least a 20 gallon. I don't think they aren't any more aggressive than the others, but there aren't many hiding places to escape to in a 10 gallon.

My wife has a 55 gallon community tank where I've donated 5 males of 5 different species of Apistogrammas and there is no aggression there either. They confront each other from time to time and display their fins and color to each other. Occassionally one will chase another across the tank, but it quickly ends and there is no beating. These males are my "backups" in case anything happens to the dominant males in my breeding tanks. :wink:

These are my personal experiences, but I'm not sure of the limitations. (Although, I'm sure the 7 adult viejitas in the 30 gallon is close to the max with them.) Another thing about tank size is the amount of bottom space is what regulates how many apistos a tank will support, rather than how many gallons. I'm sure some other members of this forum have more experience with 'colonies'.

Michael

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….