• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How many dwarfs in a 29 gallon?

Electric Snowman

5 Year Member
How many dwarfs could I fit in a 29 gallon tank? I already have a pair of cacatioudes, and I want to get more, but I don't know how many more I can keep? I also have an empty ten gallon I could use for raising fry. Any thoughts would help.
Thanks

Lisachromis

Staff member
5 Year Member
It all depends on what species you want to add. Some fish just require more space than others.

Electric Snowman

5 Year Member
I want to put add as many cacatuoides as possible, I just don't know how many that is. I think it would be neat to have a tank "full" of those beautiful fish.

aspen

5 Year Member
1 male and 3 - 4 females would be great. eventually you'll have offspring of all different sizes if things work out. make sure that your fitration won't suck in fry. a sponge filter works great for this. ensure that you have a spawning site for every female, spread out evenly across the bottom. they'll each claim one and entice the male to 'come on over'.

having 2 males has never worked for me either of the same species or different apisto species in a tank that small.

rick

mooman

5 Year Member
I agree with aspen. My male cac would not even tolerate other types of cichlids (bolivian rams, blue rams). I've heard that cacs are harem builders, so a few more females would be ok. I wouldn't put any more that 3 females in a 29g.

aspen

5 Year Member
i've seen a 15 gal tank with 5 producing females and a male cac, although the females were all offspring of the big male. it was jam packed full of plants and pots and stuff.

rick

W

William

Rick brings up a good point concerning the stocking of cacatuoides. If there is dense vegetation, sufficient caves, rocks, woodwork, etc. for the females to hide and defend their mini territories then 3 females and a male in a 29 could work. If it was my tank, I would start out with one male and two females and see how that works before I ventured into more females. Then again, I prefer to under stock and rearrange the decor should I decide more female(s) are needed.

A general rule I have with cacatuoides (and most apistos) is 12 cubic inches per female in a dense tank and expand on this the denser the tank gets. I'll never forget my first tank with wild cacatuoides, a ten gallon moderately planted tank, two flower pot caves (on opposite ends) with one male and two females. Three weeks later I had a pair and a female floater. Your mileage may vary!

Best regards,

William

Electric Snowman

5 Year Member
Thanks for the info, so far I still have just the pair and they are doing fine. My tank is lightly planted so maybe I will pick up one more female and see how things go.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….