• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How many A. Macmasteri in a tank?

miguelmejia

5 Year Member
I have an opportunity to buy tankbred A.Macmasteri for a great price but they come in lots of 6. If I got six, what size tank would be the most appropriate for them to be in? I have a 29 gallon or 55 gallon community tank that I could use for them. The 29 would be a species only tank and I would have to move some fish around. I would like to at least have a pair of Macmasteri to spawn just want to make sure that they don't get to crowded until they pair off. The water parameters for the tanks are:
29 gallon 25.7 degree C, Ph 6.6, no Ammonia or Nitrite, water hardness is soft (don't have a kit to measure exactly), moderately planted. terra cotta pots.
55 gallon 27 degree C, Ph 6.5, no Ammonia or Nitrite, water hardness is soft. occupants: 1 adult female Angel, 1 A. Cac., 7 corydorus, 7 von rio tetras, 9 cardinal tetras. moderately planted. terra cotta pots and fake driftwood.

Hopefully you can help me get only the amount I can take care of.
Thanks,
Miguel

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Males of A. macmasteri can be very territorial. They have been reported to take control of the entire bottom of a 2 meter tank! It does not have to occur, however. Design the aquarium with many boundary structures (wood, plants, rocks) that break up vision from one side of the tank to the other. A 55 will easily house 2 males and 4 females. The 29 will house 1 male and 2 females.

miguelmejia

5 Year Member
Thanks for the input Mike. I am still unsure if I'll get them yet since I am not sure if I have the room for them.(Not blessed with the privalege to build a fishroom)

langosh

5 Year Member
I’ve also found Ap. macmasteri kind of „competitive“ - in 160l (42 gallons) one male gave another one a very hard time and finally had to be separated...
Roman:)

miguelmejia

5 Year Member
Now that I have an idea a nother setback shows up. My A. Cac. is acting weird again. I had to use my quarantine tank to isolate him and see what the problem is. Last time he was not eating and I took care to feed him better quality foods and he rebounded. I guess there might be to much competition in the tank he was in so I might have to forgo the A. Macmasteri until my A. Cac. rebounds again.

miguelmejia

5 Year Member
I came home from work yesterday and my Cac was dead. So now I have to prepare the tank and get ready for some new dwarfs. I might miss out on the Macmasteri since I want some time to get the water parameters the way I like it before getting any fish. I will let you guys know if and when I get the Macmasteri.

miguel

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….