• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How long do you leave your fry with there mum?

gingerbeer

5 Year Member
Interested in hearing how long after free swimming you leave the fry with there parents.

I used to leave both parents and try and pick wheh they were going to breed again - now toaking out dad and leaving with mum and trying o decide.

Thanks,
Steve

Rey82

5 Year Member
I have bred both honglosi and steichdaneri, I have kept the fry with only the mother for about a month. After that I put them into a seperate tank. Right now I have my a. steichdaneri with 20+ fry in a five gallong tank. Plenty enough room for the female to keep an eye on her fry.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
It depends on the female; some are more tolerant of older fry than others. Some start driving away fry once she fills with eggs and is ready to spawn again. Others will continue to brood them until the fry are mature adults. Right now I have a female A. sp. Abacaxis with 4 month old fry. She is not brooding them anymore, but not bothering them either (the male is in the same tank, but separated by a partition). Usually after a month, the fry should be moved.

Richgrenfell

5 Year Member
I often move the parents to another tank rather than the fry. Depends on what kind of tank space you have available though. I usually wait till the female stops herding them to do so.

Rich

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkalmanson

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….