• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How Do You Make Coconut Shell Caves?

slimbolen99

5 Year Member
I want to make some coconut shell caves for my Nanochromis tanks.

I have the coconuts cut in half with the meat cleaned out. I've boiled them for about 20 minutes. I plan on drilling two tiny holes on the top to tie an anubius or java moss to the top, and a single small hole for an entry.

What size of entry hole should I make? I have the following species:
N. teguelsi
N. sabinae
N. parilus
N. transvestus

All fish are juveniles at this point, max length 2", so I'm not sure how large the hole should be, and where it should be?

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Just cut a notch out of the rim with a hack saw, I used to make them square, but now I just cut a V, and then push the 1/2 coconut into the sand to give the size of entrance hole size I want. If you haven't got a saw, you can just drill a hole and then shape it with a rounded file. I wouldn't worry about drilling "planting holes" either, I now stick both ferns/Anubias and moss on with cyanoacrylate super-glue.

cheers Darrel

gerald

5 Year Member
I've never kept sabinae, but for the other three a 3/4 to 1 inch hole works. Gravid moms get surprisingly wide. Bigger holes dont seem to be problem. I make holes near the bottom edge (break it out with pliers), but I dont think the hole location matters much. They'll use an upside-down clay pot with the drain hole on top, but I prefer side holes so I can see inside a little bit, and also it makes for such nice portait shots when they're peering out of side holes. My first teugelsi were in a 5 gal planted tank with no caves (wasnt intending to breed them quite yet), so they excavated around the half-buried sponge filter and spawned on it. I admire their brilliant ingenuity: no egg fanning required! Best thing since the Neglect-O-Matic electric baby swing.

slimbolen99

5 Year Member
Good info guys, I appreciate it. I went with the 3/4" hole for now, and I can always make it larger later if I need to. Used a cordless drill with a 3/4" drill bit...those coconut shells are HARD! A couple I put the hole near the top, a couple near the lower front, and a couple with the hole in-between. We'll see what, if any, preference each species may or may not have. I know in my apistos, some like top entry holes, some like lower, cave like entry holes.

I know what you mean Gerald. Mine spawned inside a hole in some driftwood, right next to the sponge. They must be lazy parents. :)

Decided to super glue some java moss to the tops, which will help conceal the caves and also give foraging fry a place to, well, forage. I'll try to get some pics up later today when the tank lights come on.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
those coconut shells are HARD!
It surprised me as well, I've eaten plenty of coconuts, but I always broke them open by putting them in a big plastic bag and swinging hard into a concrete suface, after drilling a hole through the 3rd locule (the little round scars at the pointy end, 3rd one is where the root comes out), couldn't be easier.

When I found about coconut shell caves, first time I held the coconut and tried to cut it with a big coarse toothed rip saw, about 20 minutes later, swearing loudly and bleeding profusely from what was left of my fingers, I finally cut it in 1/2 after putting it in the vice and going at it with a very fine toothed hack saw.

cheers Darrel

slimbolen99

5 Year Member
Here's a few pics of the shells I made.

With java moss attached, opening more diagonally towards the top.
DSCN3097.jpg

Without java moss attached, opening more towards the bottom/front.
DSCN3079.jpg

Thanks again for all the help guys.
Brian

wethumbs

5 Year Member
It looks like a group of Nanochromis transvestitus in the 1st pic. Did you get those from Wetspot? You may want to plant the tank abit heavier for them due to elevated conspecific aggression.

The 2nd pic looks like Dicrossus. Is it filamentosus or maculatus? Not sure the coconut cave is needed for Dicrossus. They usually spawn on leaves, smooth area of driftwood; in my case, even open ended pvc pipe. Also, I would prefer to turn the opening downward and partially covered by the substrate. How many pairs in the tank? You should try getting extra females if you have room. They are polygamous.

You have any good cooking recipe for all those coconut juice and meat you cleaned out?

slimbolen99

5 Year Member
It looks like a group of Nanochromis transvestitus in the 1st pic. Did you get those from Wetspot? You may want to plant the tank abit heavier for them due to elevated conspecific aggression.
Yup, got them from Wetspot. Hopefully the vallesneria takes off a little bit, and the java moss grows in a little, cause I'm all out of plants. :)

The 2nd pic looks like Dicrossus. Is it filamentosus or maculatus? Not sure the coconut cave is needed for Dicrossus. They usually spawn on leaves, smooth area of driftwood; in my case, even open ended pvc pipe. Also, I would prefer to turn the opening downward and partially covered by the substrate. How many pairs in the tank? You should try getting extra females if you have room. They are polygamous.
I have an identification thread in this area of the forum with more info on the setup and fish, but I believe them to be maculatus. Hopefully they will spawn on the plants, and that would free up some coconut caves for some other fish I have coming in. Thanks for the info.

You have any good cooking recipe for all those coconut juice and meat you cleaned out?
LOL, ironically, I'm allergic to coconut, and my wife doesn't like it. We gave the meat to the neighbors, and I think they fed the squirrels with it.

MickeM

5 Year Member
Hi all,
It surprised me as well, I've eaten plenty of coconuts, but I always broke them open by putting them in a big plastic bag and swinging hard into a concrete suface, after drilling a hole through the 3rd locule (the little round scars at the pointy end, 3rd one is where the root comes out), couldn't be easier.

When I found about coconut shell caves, first time I held the coconut and tried to cut it with a big coarse toothed rip saw, about 20 minutes later, swearing loudly and bleeding profusely from what was left of my fingers, I finally cut it in 1/2 after putting it in the vice and going at it with a very fine toothed hack saw.

cheers Darrel

Hi Darrel + all !!

I DO know what this feels like !!
Been there more than once!!!
I believe your avatarpic almost shows what it looks and feels like...:)

A friend of mine came up with a brilliant idea, and told me how he usually crack the coconut shell very easy....

Put the coconut in the freezer for a day or two....!!!! (in a plastic bag?)

Then use a hammer or other good tool... and hit it as hard as you want...you can almost shape them the way you like.. (if carefull!!)

It`s a really easy way to get the job done without having to deal with the wet juice and core of it..
When freezy cold.. you can bend the "inner meat" away .. with no blood loss !!

I like this method a lot in an other way too..
The pieces don`t look manmade..every piece is different...

If I want to be sure of the coconut shells not polluting/react with the water in the tank....
I put the shells in a bucket with aquariumwater and some snails... eating it clean!!
(Probably not necessary if you`ve got Ancistrus sp. or likewise catfish in your tank)

Good luck everyone...!

/Mikael

Last edited:

Dano1311

great i shall try freezing some and cracking some open, im in need of a few homes for my fish, i like the idea of the holes made above they look brill, ive bought some before and they have the manufactured feel to them, these look personalized.

davidjp1982

Donating Member
* Knock through one of the soft eyes on top of the coconut and drain

* whack in vice and drill a 1 inch hole in side of said nut

* cut in half

* scrape out the flesh - think about a health kick and taste some, spit it out and carry on

* be a girl and boil / scrape off fibres or just chuck in tank

Or my latest technique is just smash one open and bury the pieces to make appropriate caves ;)

Pisces 56

Nothing of import to say. Just whenever I read the title of this thread I always read "How Do You Make A Coconut Shell Shave?"

Ask him nicely?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….