1. Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How common is infertility?

Discussion in 'General Dwarf Cichlids' started by Happyfins, Jul 11, 2018 at 5:40 AM.

1. Happyfins

Happyfins Member

My trifasciata pair have never hatched their eggs. At first I thought they are being eaten but then I realised that they probably should be red in colour rather than transparent in apistogramma.
    I guess the question is whether one of my fish is infertile or whether the female lays eggs without the male being in any way involved in the family planning.
  2. gerald

gerald Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Maybe it's related to nutrition. Try feeding a more varied diet?
  3. Mike Wise

Mike Wise Moderator Staff Member 5 Year Member

Infertility is always a possibility but it is actually rather rare, particularly if the specimens are wildcaugt or a few generations from the wild. It is more likely that the problem is envionmental or, as gerald wrote, nutritional. Fertile apisto eggs can vary in color depending on what they are fed. I've seen clear (more grey-white), white, green and red eggs hatch.