• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How Accurate Is Enough?

Shiells

For certain biotopes, you can easily find driftwood from the appropriate area, and even add leaf litter from trees appropriate to the biotope that area you are trying to recreate. However, for Amazon biotopes, finding region-specific driftwood, rocks, leaves, and the like is difficult, if not basically impossible. So, I avoid the description "biotope" when talking about my tank, which features apistograma, tetra, and some South American plants. I avoid that description because my driftwood isn't Amazonian, not all of my plants are South American, and I don't think adding Indian leaf litter would help it's case. But, there aren't any official guidelines, and no apparent consensus on the issue. My standards might even be too high. So, what, in your mind, are the minimum requirements for calling your tank an Amazon biotope? How strict are you?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
When I judged the biotope class in fish shows in the past I just wanted the substrate, fish and the plants to be from the same general region. An 'Amazon biotope' can be so many different types, since the Amazon Basin covers half of a continent. Different parts have different substrates, fish, plants, etc. It would be easier to make it smaller, say biotope around Belem, Brazil for example.

Siggi

Hi, everyone.
Another issue that IMHO is just as important, maybe even more, is to assert if it's a blackwater-biotope, a whitewater-biotope, a hardwater-biotope...
The chemistry can be more differentiating than location. It's at least an area where accuracy is important.
Just a sidethought.

mr. Uaupesi

On a facebook page called Biotope aquaristics they divide it into these categories:

B1 A true biotope aquarium, a scape with fishes and plants that occur in the same body of water, where they share a specific habitat.

B2 A watersystem theme aquarium, fishes and plants occur in the same watersystem, but are not all (necessarily) found together.

B3 A habitat theme aquarium, fishes and plants are found in similar habitats from the same continent but are from different water systems.

Just thought it could be usefull :)
Getting wood/sand etc from a certain location should be really hard to do. I would just focus on trying to get the fish/plants from that specific place.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkalmanson

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….