• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hongsloi sexing ID please :)

sundragon

I purchased these two "lemons" about 6 months ago. I think they have had enough time to mature but I can't tell if they are both females or this morph is, ahem, bland...

I don't see any red as an identifier of a male on the caudal fin or any color for that matter, aside from yellow :)

The second image, you can see both of them, one with the fins extended and the other down.

Please help!

My friend tells me to turn them into expensive sushi... *sigh*

Attachments

• IMG_0386.jpg
    IMG_0386.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 442
  • IMG_0401.jpg
    IMG_0401.jpg
    739.8 KB · Views: 424
  • IMG_0406.jpg
    IMG_0406.jpg
    465.3 KB · Views: 471
  • IMG_0412.jpg
    IMG_0412.jpg
    627.1 KB · Views: 421

sundragon

Not to make it sound like I don't love the fish :) I have given them a happy home... If they are females, may try purchasing a male to keep them company.

Attachments

• IMG_0331.jpg
    IMG_0331.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 362

merlin

5 Year Member
Im not an expert by any description but they look like females. As for ID some of the others will be able to help. Some photographs that are in focus may help.

Derek

merlin

5 Year Member
In the 2nd pic. There is another fish in the background. It looks like it has a black chin and lips is that a reality or is it the photo.

Derek

sundragon

In the 2nd pic. There is another fish in the background. It looks like it has a black chin and lips is that a reality or is it the photo.

Derek

It's the same one in the 3rd photo - the lighting makes it look like it has a black chin.

I apologize for the quality of the pictures - the fish are very skittish and don't hang around unless I'm feeding them. I will try to take a few more when I feed them today.

Joe

Sorry to deviate from the topic of the thread, but I must say you have a gorgeous looking tank there!:) I especially love the red tiger lotus. What are the dimensions of the tank, and what lighting/filtration etc. do you use?

sundragon

Sorry to deviate from the topic of the thread, but I must say you have a gorgeous looking tank there!:) I especially love the red tiger lotus. What are the dimensions of the tank, and what lighting/filtration etc. do you use?

Thanks :) I've been working hard to keep the BBA away. The tank is 36x18x21 - 57G Oceanic Illuminata.
I have an Aquatic life 4x t5HO light - it runs for 8 hours - 2 banks for 6 hours, 4 banks for 2 hours. The light is currently 30 - inches from the substrate - I have to move it down a nudge to get the dwarf hair grass to grow better.
I'm using a 406 for filtration with an inline Hydor 300w and an GLA atomic inline diffuser.

The tank is 8 months old and finally maturing.

sundragon

Yes, nice tank. What is the foreground plant with broad leaves (not the pygmy chain sword)? Also, do you use CO2?

Thanks! No pigmy chain swords or swords in this tank - I have Staurogyne repens all over the right spreading to the left of the tank. There is a small tiger lotus on the far left and behind the S. repens on the right is Crypt. Wendtii Florida Sunset‎.

I do use CO2 inline with an atomic diffuser.

Brown Water

2nd pic is female IMO. Other fish is too dark for me to tell sex. They are not showing the red tho that most hongslois I have seen/researched have. I have a pair that I was almost certain where 2 males.. They have yet to show much red, but they do have at least some red on them. Both male and female are extremely yellow. I know that they are a pair as I just had another spawn from them yesterday with viable eggs (red/pinkish colored eggs). I have noticed that my male has more iridescent blue in his face, and his dorsal & anal fins are pointed where my females are not.

What size are these fish?

Have they ever changed colors?

Displayed/flaired thief fins to each other?

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….