• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

honglsoi sexing

Odile

Hi,
I bought this this little fish for a honglsoi female, but once in my tank it appeared to have red on it's belly and on its dorsal and caudal fins... I can't find any photo of a female honglsoi with this red pattern. Is it a female or a male?
full

The photo is rather bad quality, I can try to make another one if it is not good enough for identifing it.
Thanks !
Odile

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Sorry, no photo to see. If it is a domestic color-enhanced strain it is possible for females to have some male color characteristics. Try to send the photo again, together with its size.

Odile

Hi,
I am sorry I did a mistake when uploadinig the photo... Now it should appear :
full

He or she is very small, maybe two or two and a half centimeters

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The 'female' is still too young/small for me to sex reliably. Still, it behavioral interaction with the male (S curved body display) is a normal female trait.

Odile

Here it is, a mounth latter
full

The male is showing of a lot, not sure whether it tries to seduce her or whether it is aggressivity. Is there a way to tell ? Like the way the of the other fish respond to it ?

full

And here is the tank they are sharing with about ten Corydora pygmaeus and a few red cherry shrimps

full

Fikret Celik

5 Year Member
Hello.

A very nice tank. My idea is a tank suitable for Apistos.

How long have the females and males had come together? What is your water value?

Duration of coexistence and water values can delay mating and ovulation.

Good luck...

Odile

Thank you. I got them from a shop a bit more than a month ago. My pH is 6.8, and the water is almost fully revers osmosis water, I have a GH of 4 and KH under 1. The temperature is 26C (79 F)

Last edited:

Fikret Celik

5 Year Member
Hello,

Everything's normal. Can the fish, which is regarded as female, be a male Hongsloi under the pressure of the dominant Hongsloi male?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Hello,

Everything's normal. Can the fish, which is regarded as female, be a male Hongsloi under the pressure of the dominant Hongsloi male?

In a single word, yes. Subdominant males often show more female-like markings to avoid excessive aggression and, as a 'sneaker male' enter a dominant male's territory to breed with real females.

Odile

Would a female ever reach this size? I thought it could not be more than 5cm?
The large male is often going towards the smaller fish with its fin deployed and its body bended like on the picture I posted, then fans its tail at it, is it aggressive behaviour or courtship?
Thanks

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buthag

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….