• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hi

Bilbo

5 Year Member
Hi everybody.

I new here so thought I should introduce myself.
I am from New Zealand (Any other kiwi's here?????)

I have a small fishroom that has only 8 tanks currently.
A tank each for
A. Agassizii (1000x500x500h 1 male 5 females),
A. bitaeniata (1000x500x500h 1 male 2 females),
A. borellii (500x500x300h 3 total sex unsure yet),
A. cacatuoides (600x300x300h Pair of triple red x F1),
M. ramirezi (500x500x300h Pair),
M. ramirezi (500x500x300h Gold long finned male but no partner(should I cross him with a blue girl???)),
2 larger tanks with 40 or so rams growing out and a tiny 150x150x150 with my remaining 4 cockatoo fry.

I love the apistos but am not really the best at breeding them yet so hopefully I will learn something here. Seems a little strange that I have no problems with Rams or Angels or Discus at all, I have sold tons of them over the last few years, but never had any luck with any apistos (all the above and eunotus, inka50, mcmasteri, nanny, panduro, nijsseni etc)

They are very hard to get hold of over here and very expensive so I am really wanting to learn heaps. My current project is agassizi because I am unaware of any others currently for sale in NZ so if I loose my male I have no backups.

Cool site and thanks heaps everyone

Bilbo.

bigbird

5 Year Member
Morning Bilbo,

welcome to the forum and yes it is a good site, full of information etc.
I am surprised that in NZ you do not have many Apistos available, especially the Agassi and lets hope your male survives. In SYD we basically have 2 main shops that sell the Apistos and they are just great.
You state that you have no luck in the breeding of Apistos, maybe let us know how you have set up your tanks and then we might be able to give you some feedback and hints.
cheers jk :biggrin:

Bilbo

5 Year Member
I am surprised that in NZ you do not have many Apistos available

Below is a list of every Apistogramma I can find records of in NZ.
There may have been others I am unaware of perhaps.
The ones with * are confirmed still here and the ones with ** are ones I have a 1 pair of

Apistogramma agassizi double red **
Apistogramma agassizi flamingo
Apistogramma atahualpa sunset
Apistogramma baenschi /Inka 50
Apistogramma barlow (formally A.sp.maulbruter)
Apistogramma biteaniata blue
Apistogramma biteaniata orange **
Apistogramma borelli **
Apistogramma cacatuoide wild form **
Apistogramma cacatuoide orange flash
Apistogramma cacatuoide triple red **
Apistogramma cruzi
Apistogramma hippolytae
Apistogramma hongsloi
Apistogramma macmasteri
Apistogramma martini
Apistogramma nijsseni
Apistogramma norberti
Apistogramma panduro *
Apistogramma steindachneri
Apistogramma trifasciata
Apistogramma viejita *

I might have to move to Sydney :)

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I'll bet you a NZ$ that the A. cruzi are not the true A. cruzi, but A. sp. Nanay/Melgar or A. sp. Putumayo instead. The only source for this fish that I know about is a hobbyist/breeder in Norway (TomC).

Bilbo

5 Year Member
lol no bet. I have no doubt you are right

I am fairly sure that Apistogramma atahualpa sunset was never here either.
My guess is that Cruzi, Nanay and Eunotus are all one and the same fish here that is why I didnt include them.

There was also a reported breeding of A. juruensis 20 years ago in 1988 and A.steindachneri back in 2000 but no word since then.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….