• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

HI from Phoenix, Arizona

John_G

Hi everyone, I am a new Apistogramma owner! I've always wanted to keep these little fish, and I recently started using 50% r/o water in my tank, which provided the final motivation.

20160731_193057.jpg

This is the male Apistogramma agassizi.

20160731_193259.jpg

This is the female.

20160731_193835.jpg

I bought this fish from the same pet store last week. They didn't have a male for her, so they ordered a pair of Apistogramma agassizi 'fire red', which was the name on the label for this fish. It looks to be a different species of Apistogramma though.

These three fish are in a 17 gallon tank with about 15 cardinal tertras and 6 otos. So far I've been feeding them frozen blood worms, which they've been eating up. The newer pair will also eat the flakes I feed the tetras.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
These three fish are in a 17 gallon tank with about 15 cardinal tertras and 6 otos. So far I've been feeding them frozen blood worms, which they've been eating up. The newer pair will also eat the flakes I feed the tetras.
Welcome and best of luck.

Have a look at and <"Aquarium care"> at ApistoBob's Dwarf Cichlid web site, it is a really useful site.

cheers Darrel

TCMontium

5 Year Member
Hello!

The unidentified female fish looks really strange to me. I don't think it is an Apistogramma, but the photo is not clear really, I am not sure.

John_G

Hi all,Welcome and best of luck.

Have a look at and <"Aquarium care"> at ApistoBob's Dwarf Cichlid web site, it is a really useful site.

cheers Darrel

Thanks! I've actually been to that site a few times, but I never noticed that navigation bar at the top or that page.

Hello!

The unidentified female fish looks really strange to me. I don't think it is an Apistogramma, but the photo is not clear really, I am not sure.

I think you are right. I think it's a badis badis, or a closely related fish. I recall that the pet store carried a few of these fish, and the pictures I can find online look to be a match. I don't know how it ended up in the being sold as an apisto. Unfortunately, this pet store is 30 or so miles from my house, so I will just keep the 'expensive' badis and will it move it to its own tank soon.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndrewShNN

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….