• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hi from London, UK

Jalzy

Hi everyone, my name is Anthony, i hail from London, UK. I have been using this site alot recently to find information (alot of which has been helpfull) so i decided to join up and introduce myself. Looking forward to meeting you all. Here are a couple of pics of my A. Viejitas (thats what they were called in the shop).

My camera shy male and one of the females (attch 20160608_195936)

My other female (attach 20160608_193826)

Their tank (attach 20160608_193900)

Attachments

• 20160608_195936.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 278
  • 20160608_193826.jpg
    7.7 MB · Views: 295
  • 20160608_193900.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 287

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Welcome, it is a nice tank, its got cover, caves, plants and leaf litter, all good for dwarf cichlids tanks.

One thing is you might want to put some sand in somewhere, they are geophagine cichlids and like to sift sand. If you mix sand with a larger particle all the sand will end up as the bottom layer, but you might be able to put an area of sand in?

Also I've got a really fast WWW connection and can see the pictures, but they are really large file sizes, and my suspicion would be that not every-body will be able to view them.

The male looks to be Apistogramma macmasteri, and the females look female, but they don't look quite right for A. macmasteri. (female A. macmasteri below, from the very useful <"dwarfcichlid.com">

mcfmed.JPG

I'm rubbish at sexing and ID, but hopefully someone will come on who can tell you what species they are likely to be.

cheers Darrel

Jalzy

Hi Darrel thank you for the response, i am planning to switch to sand soon, also ive often wondered if the apistos were macs or viejita lol

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Hi Darrel thank you for the response, i am planning to switch to sand soon, also ive often wondered if the apistos were macs or viejita lol
The fish sold as "viejita" is a colourful form of A. macmasteri.

The real A. viejita has been re-collected from Columbia recently, details are in <"this thread">.

cheers Darrel

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Welcome. As people here know, I'm always happy to help identify their apistos. If, however, the photos are too large, over 2 MB in size, I will ignore them. Anything over 800 pixels wide is a waste in most cases. There are so many pieces of software than can crop and downsize photos - many even free (GIMP). There is no real reason not to use one. As for the photo in the above post ... well it's just too poor for any kind of ID, sorry.

Jalzy

Hi mike
sorry about the large file sizes, im still getting the hang of uploading the pics, as for the picture quality they are from a phone camera. However i will try to get some better snaps at a lower file size

Jalzy

So after 20 odd pics and live food to lure him out i hope this picture is much better, hopefully someone can ID him for me. Thanks all
2016-06-10 18.12.32.jpg

MickeM

5 Year Member
The pic in post #8 is/ought to be a male A. macmasteri..

In post #9 Pic nr 1 looks like a female A. cacatouides..
.. and pic 2 looks like a male of A. erythrura.. (It is also often sold as A. spec. "Rio Mamore" )

Jalzy

Hi micke thanks for the ID on the apistos it also explains why the females havent shown much intrest in breeding with my male lol all three of these apistos were in the same tank at my LFS all with the name viejita

MickeM

5 Year Member
OK, I see...
A male of cacatouides should be no big trouble for your local dealer to fix I hope... it`s a worse task to get hold of any single Apisto female.!!
Good luck in finding matching Apisto-partners..!:)

Jalzy

Hey i have one other apistogramma that i assume is female, she is currently in my Angel/Ram tank however i would appreciate it if some one can id her for me (she was brought with the three above). Ihope the photo is ok.
2016-06-11 09.58.37.jpg

Thanks again

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkalmanson

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….