• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Herotilapia multispinosa

Pelvicachromis

5 Year Member
I think these guys are an under appreciated species.....
A few shots of pair #2, pair #1 will not show for pictures. But this pair is developing nicely.

Rainbow1.jpg

Rainbow2.jpg

Rainbow3.jpg

Rainbow4.jpg

Rainbow5.jpg

This week got a nice surprise....a cloud of fry!

IMG_3109.jpg

IMG_3110.jpg

KC

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I used to use Herotilapia multispinosa for snail control. They really do a good job if the fish are large enough to grab the snail. I would put them in apisto breeding tanks after removing the apisto fry. Once, I didn't get all of the fry and a female A. cacatuoides didn't like her new resident. The Rainbow was much bigger and still she attacked it. It was a very funny sight. A 1½"/3.5 cm female cacatuoides tail slapping and biting a Rainbow Cichlid that was over 4"/10 cm SL! I never saw the Rainbow try to hunt the fry.

fishme.

5 Year Member
i have a pair of ex-herotilapia ( ? ) http://www.cichlidae.com/gallery.php?genus=Archocentrus or Archocentrus multispinosa in a 80cm tank with two female guppies and their offspring as dithers for 6 months now but they haven't spawned till now

i think they must be the most peacefull fish
when i putted the guppies in they were trying to see what they were , as a result the guppies were scared and were swiming away , then the multispinosa were seeing their fear and were hiding too :tongue:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….