• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help with fry food...

drudnick

5 Year Member
Hello

Is there any food out there, that I dont have to hatch myself that is good for apisto fry. And that they will actually eat? I tried feeding my inca fry frozen BBS and they wouldnt eat it and ultimately all starved, while my krib fry ate it and are still growing. I am now on my second batch of inca wigglers, and I have a very small batch of bita wigglers. So I need something that I can feed. I have most of the stuff for a BBS hatchery, but am not overly confident it will work, and am having a hard time really finding time to set it all up.

Thanks in advance for any help

Dave

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
If your A. baenschi fry will only take moving food, you don't have a lot of options, I'm afraid. I have raised some of the less demanding apistos on powdered flakes, but it isn't eaten as eagerly & causes the tank to foul if you are not careful. You can use microworms, but they are more of a hassle to maintain in my opinion than hatching bbs.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Less of a hassle to raise than microworms, but more of a hassle to harvest, are vinegar eels. They are very small though. Eventually you will want to get the fry on bbs for the best growth.

Zapisto

5 Year Member
hmmm , new hatch Brine shrimp are the best.
Walter worm are good and easy to maintain (mike and ted really cannot understand how you can have hard time with a so easy culture :) )

as an alternative , i found moina very usefull , Moina is of a smaller size than Daphnia, with a higher protein content.
i use them when (sometime it happen) i forget or badly make my bbs :)

as Ted say , vinegar eels are very very easy to keep (very slow to start) but , god what an hassle to harvest if you dont have the good tools :)
but for apisto fry i never found them good , dont know why , my fry dont love them more than that.

freshwater copepods can also be a good variation but not base.

as frozen food , cyclop eez always give me good result , and even my fry who dont even look at dry food taste it and eat it.

good luck

jose_vogel

5 Year Member
I use to feed all my Apistos fry with a mix of:
1) Microworms
2) Vinegar eels
3) Baby brine shrimp

But, really I prefer # 1, because they´re so easy to mantain and to harvest.

Luck

Zapisto

5 Year Member
jose_vogel said:
I use to feed all my Apistos fry with a mix of:
1) Microworms
2) Vinegar eels
3) Baby brine shrimp

But, really I prefer # 1, because they´re so easy to mantain and to harvest.

Luck
Hi Jose,

Try Walter worm instead on microworms.
you will probably never go back to microworms :)

jose_vogel

5 Year Member
Hi Zapisto,

It´s easy to say, but not to do.

It´s impossible here in Argentina to find walter worms (the same with Apistos, except from commbrae, borelli, trifasciata, cacatuoides and agassizii).

By the way, ¿do you know someone who can sell -and ship- Apistos to Argentina?

Best regards

Zapisto

5 Year Member
jose_vogel said:
Hi Zapisto,

It´s easy to say, but not to do.

It´s impossible here in Argentina to find walter worms (the same with Apistos, except from commbrae, borelli, trifasciata, cacatuoides and agassizii).

By the way, ¿do you know someone who can sell -and ship- Apistos to Argentina?

Best regards
hI jose,
I know what you mean .
i already go to that with other species.

check with oliver lucanus , perhaps he will have something for you , but will cost , i am afraid.
walter worm can be ship other post office to your country ?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….