• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help with EBR fry please

georgedv

5 Year Member
Got some EBR last year and a pair formed. They laid eggs many times but none survive. Even when I remove and raise separately. I have done this plenty of times with GBRs with no problems. Some one suggested weak genes. So this year I placed the EBR pair in a 40 breeder with about 15 GBRs and the male EBR bred with a GBR female. I got the eggs out. Soon I had many wigglers and they lasted about five days.

I had them in gallon tapper with air stone for light water movement and plenty of java. I wonder if I am missing something regarding the type of food they can eat. My GBRs get brine shrimp around the fourth day and infusoria.... However I still am perplexed why my GBRs survive and the EBRs don't although they are the same fish in different clothing.

Any ideas would helpful

G

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
5 Year Member
Perplexing indeed. From what you can tell all variables (aside from EBR v GBR) are held constant? Never heard about weak genes but that doesn't mean it can't be true.

georgedv

5 Year Member
Pretty crazy. However, I still think it is simpler then that. The fish breed and a great portion of the eggs hatch, but start to die off after the fifth day of free swimming. I thought I was keeping too many per container and food was not enough....but at some point that should balance out. Could it be temperature related.....water related....are EBR more sensitive then GBR....
I am hoping the experience in the forum can make any suggestions....even if not related to Rams.

Thanks
g

MickeM

5 Year Member
Pretty crazy. However, I still think it is simpler then that. The fish breed and a great portion of the eggs hatch, but start to die off after the fifth day of free swimming. I thought I was keeping too many per container and food was not enough....but at some point that should balance out. Could it be temperature related.....water related....are EBR more sensitive then GBR....
I am hoping the experience in the forum can make any suggestions....even if not related to Rams.

Thanks
g

If you are moving eggs from the usual (heated??) tank ..I guess the temp might drop quite fast ??
It works that way when I sometimes move plants with some algeas on...to a non heated bucket containing snails eating algea..

+ Maybe lacking some good bacteria?? if you have a tank with no gravel/sand ??

BTW..
Some friendly snails might help to keep the hatching tank OK/clean when the eggs have become fry !!??

georgedv

5 Year Member
Well, I actually got them out as eggs. They hatched, became wigglers, and then free swimming. That still does not rule out temp drop, cuz in a tapper it would drop at night. Thanks for the thought. Next time I'll float the container in a larger tank.

I only remember his first name "Mike".

Thanks
g

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….