• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help with diagnosis

drudnick

5 Year Member
Ok, tonight I decided to switch the gravel in my trifasciata tank to a darker gravel. I took most of the orginal gravel out, and then put new rinsed gravel in over what I couldnt get out. The water had debris that seemed to get stirred up from the gravel being disturbed. I did a water change after and figured everything was good. Now I go back later tonight and I see my tri female is yellow, but also grey and the best description I can give is she looked like she was shedding. Her scales were patchy and she looked like there was a film on her. Now she is still alive, but definitely not doing well. I tried gettin pic, but it was either too light or too dark. Based on that description does anyone have any idea what could have happened? The male seems ok right now, although he looks like his mouth has something on it.

fishgeek

something would see to have irritated the fish's skin and slime coat
prehaps anaerboic compounds from deeper in the gravel or just nitrates etc

increase water changes and cross your fingers

drudnick

5 Year Member
I just tested water and the nitrates went from 0 to about 20. Now I am just hoping its stress that has my incas hiding in plants. Crossing fingers they all pull through. Female tri didnt make it.

drudnick

5 Year Member
Ok, woke up this morning, checked on everyone, and they all looked to be getting better. Female and male looked as though they were going to get ready for another spawn. I left them alone, came back and noticed male up near top of tank facing almost vertically down. Physically aside from being alittle pale he looked okay. Although his eye looked like it had a layer peeling off. Best way to describe is if looked as thought someone put on a contact lens backwards. I have spereated him but am wondering if this sounds like something curable or if he will continue to deteriorate? Male tri and female inca seem to be fine, he is the only one showing this problem.

Dave

fishgeek

definitely sounds like some water borne irritant, increased slime coat and damage to sensitive lens tissue

it may be worth adding a little salt to his normal water to reduce osmotic stress across any damaged epithelial surfaces
also (not sure how effective they are) products that claim to aid with slime coat -often aloe vera containing water treatments

and good quality water so no secondary infections, if the eye is seriosuly damaged then steroid antibiotic eye ointent that is used in both animals and humans is very useful, the steroidal component will reduce further inflammatory daage around the eye and the parafine base often means a protective layer is left on the eye for a period

andrew

drudnick

5 Year Member
He looks to be doing ok other than the film on the eye. his fins arent clenched. He would not swim to food, but would eat if food shot in front of him. And earlier this morning him and female looked to be getting ready to spawm. I added alittle aquarium salt yesterday and saw improvement overall to male tri and female as well as male inca. just his eyes right now have that film. I moved him out of that water for now, and will continue to monitor. Whe I changed the gravel I definitely stirred alot of crap up and now just need to get the water back to where it was. Everything else is normal, just elevated nitrates.

Thanks for the help

Dave

fishgeek

dave there is probably other anerobic sulphates etc that you cant/arent measuring in the water too

if messing with deeper substrate layers then only do small sections at a time

andrew

drudnick

5 Year Member
Well I would just like to say my male Inca has snapped out of his little funk. Hes back on the prowl in a BIG way courting the female. Moved him to a new tank for about 36 hours. Reintroduced him to his original tank and about 24 hours later he just snapped out it instantly from hiding in heater to stalking female. :biggrin:

Dave

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….