• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help to confirm ID, please

larryl

Hi -

I was sold this pair as "yellow A. agassizii", can anyone help confirm or deny? Here are two pics of each one:

Apisto_01.jpg
Apisto_02.jpg
Apisto_03.jpg
Apisto_04.jpg

Thanks!
Larry

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
A. agassizii, as it is presently recognized, is a 'superspecies'. It is composed of at least 7 separate species. I've been told by others more knowledgeable that there are even more. The Net/Netz forms of A. agassizii [A. cf. agassizii (Netz/Net)] is a group of populations that develop dark pigment around the outer edges of each scale on the flanks, forming a net-like pattern. They also tend to have a more robust body and males, when fully mature, develop very long tips on the dorsal and anal fins. The Netz form is found in rivers entering the Amazon from the north, from the Rio Negro eastward to the Rio Jari near the mouth of the Amazon. The Netz form most commonly sold commercially is A. agassizii Alenquer.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….