• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello From Ljubljana, Slovenia

Franc

Hi

I am new to this site and to apistos. Had a few tanks with different rasboras, whiteclouds, also shrimp tank and 4 Newts. Recently I've bought couple apistogramma cacatuoides (I have been wanting the for a while) and i think they are already in love. I have them in planted aquarium with lots of structure, caves, wood and plants. I hope i will get them to spawn, and plan to learn a lot more from all of you here.
20190429_165308.jpg 20190429_165409.jpg
20190428_210246.jpg 20190429_165453.jpg
Best regards
Franc

Last edited:

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Welcome Franc,
..... i think they are already in love. I have them in planted aquarium with lots of structure, caves, wood and plants. I hope i will get them to spawn, and plan to learn a lot more from all of you here.....
Good looking fish. She actually looks like she may already have spawned.

Apistogramma cacatuoides
can spawn successfully in quite hard water, so I think fry are likely to appear quite soon. Do you have some small live food? You need something that moves to provoke the feeding response in the fry.

I'd still add some more structure. <"Moss"> and <"Structural leaf litter"> are really good, and provide a source of fry food.

I've used Oak (Quercus robur), Beech (Fagus sylvatica), Camellia (Camellia x williamsii), Magnolia (Magnolia grandiflora) and Loquat (Eriobotrya japonica). You can buy Indian Almond (Terminalia catappa) and Magnolia leaves (sold for Dart Frogs), but I've always collected my own.

Have a look at <"All the leaves are brown"> and the <"Tannin:aquatics blog">.

cheers Darrel

Franc

Hi Darrel,
Yes she's intense in yellow colour. I have kattapa leaves and will put them in, now i have few cones from black alder. Do you prepare the collected leaves before putting them in the tank, Ive heard that they can be put into oven for short time, before dropping them into water. I've also bought some coconut shells to put them around. But female is digging her own cave, like a little buldozer.
I am feeding them with differrent frozen foods, and 2-3 times per week with hatched artemias. Should i offer them artemias (every day) for fry or other live food?

Thank you
BR Franc

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Yes she's intense in yellow colour. I have kattapa leaves and will put them in, now i have few cones from black alder.
I like <"Alder cones"> as well, I can see the one in the front of your tank.
Do you prepare the collected leaves before putting them in the tank, Ive heard that they can be put into oven for short time, before dropping them into water.
I give them a rinse under the tap if they are dusty, otherwise I just put them straight in.
I've also bought some coconut shells to put them around. But female is digging her own cave, like a little buldozer.
They are quite happy to dig in sand, and will attempt some "building work" if the cave entrance is too big.

Have a look at <"Ideal spawning cave">.
I am feeding them with differrent frozen foods, and 2-3 times per week with hatched artemias. Should i offer them artemias (every day) for fry or other live food?
Perfect, every day once the female has brought the fry out.

If you want a lower cost alternative to Artemisia (BBS) to feed on some days you can use on of the "Micro-worm" group of nematodes. It doesn't matter which one, but I've found the <"Banana worms"> (Panagrellus nepenthicola) are the easiest to culture. <"I use rolled oats"> as the culture medium.

cheers Darrel

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….