• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Having problems with hatching brine shrimp lately

themountain

5 Year Member
Hi

That is now the third time I have a batch shrimps which pop out of their shells but thats about it...? No wiggling nauplias ...nothing! To 90% the nauplias still hang on their shells and it wont go further even when they moved up to 36 hours(Umbrella stage). I still use the same type of eggs(INVE) which is stored in the fridge , they have the same temperature and I checked PH and salinity and both is in order...?? Could it be that the water is more chlorinated?? Or does that have no effect on the hatch?

Last edited:

regani

5 Year Member
If it is the same batch I don't know what's going wrong. I always use dechlorinated water, so if you have varying levels of chlorine in your water that may be a factor.
Maybe someone else has an idea?

themountain

5 Year Member
Thanks for the heads up. I will try to check the chlorine level today, until then its microworms and decap eggs for the little ones :/

gerald

5 Year Member
Unhatched Artemia cysts are resistant to chlorine, which is why you can bleach them to dissolve the brown outer layer. But once the inner clear membrane splits (at hatching), I think they're just as sensitive to chlorine as any other aquatic crustacean. If you're hatching them in chlorinated water, that might explain why they die hanging from the egg shells.

DBlauj

I was having problems with my hatch rate also. In the beginning they were great producing plenty of bbs. I have the grade A eggs from Brine Shrimp Direct. Suddenly my hatch rate was producing terrible numbers of live bbs. Didn't know what it was so I switched the vessel, got some different eggs from a good source but still the same results. I use the method most people use! two liter, air tube for circulation, and a lamp for heat. Finally I tried some dechlorinator (prime) with my water and my hatch rate has been close to original again. Don't know if you use dechlorinated water or not but it seemed to do the trick for me so hope that helps you a little.

themountain

5 Year Member
Thank DBlauj...I think exactly thats the reason...got me a Carbon filter now and this evening we will see if it works...here in Lima the Chlorine level rises and falls , I guess because we have a very warm winter they put a little bit more in than usually :(
My fry is fine as I have tons of micro and grindal.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….