• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Happy Sad Morning

CopabX

I woke up this morning to find 5 fry in a small cave. After only 1 hour, they were all gone (I saw them get eaten). The female did try to protect them with some pecking but didn't seem to energized. Is there a way to hand raise the fry?

CopabX

The male was circling the cave but I did see the sub-dominant male snatch one. The other female and tetra probably got them too. The fry aren't swimming so they must've been easy snacks.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
There goes my mantra again ... a community tank is not a breeding tank ... a community tank is not a breeding tank ... a community tank is not a breeding tank ...

CopabX

When I get home I'll remove the tetras and other females, I'm only worried about the filter quality in the other tank since the gouramis in there are practically idiot-proof.

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
Feed the Apistogramma only what they can eat and you will have no problem with your filter.
If you decide to try artificial hatching and rearing simply remove the eggs and whatever substrate they were laid and move them to a smaller bare bottom tank. Don't use any substrate and do use water from the breeding tank. Plan ahead and get a sponge filter broken in. I use a few drops per gallon of acriflavine to control fungus. As soon as I see the eggs are developing well i make a large water change using water from the breeding tank. Have your microworm cultures established ahead of time and newly hatched brine shrimp. I have raised thousands of Apistogramma fry in this way.
Keep the fry tank water very clean by frequent water changes using water from the breeding tank. This will also encourage further spawning of whatever Apistogramma species you are breeding. Once all the other fish have been removed you will have more success using natural breeding methods.

CopabX

I have a 13 gal, I was worried that I couldn't raise them by hand without the mother since i read that without her the fry are lethargic but it is reassuring that someone has done it. I'll try again with the next female since she too is showing signs. thanks for your help

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Not lethargic; more like frightened/stressed. Yes, the fry can be raised without their mother, but most people have better success and grow up more fry when the female is around to guard and guide the fry during the early stage of their life.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apistokeeper

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….