• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Got some new fish

LyreTail

5 Year Member
Picked up some very nice A. bitaeniata and triplered cacs From David S in Oregon and I was curious as to any advice in setting up a breeding tank for each of them.

I have been spending much of my time building a tank and making special caves, trying to spawn my zebra plecos this summer, so I have not been paying much attention to the apistogramma end of my hobby. I have been spawning Blue rams all summer as well.

anyways back to the questions
My Papagei never seem to be harem fish and nearly killed the extra female before I was forced to move her. I read the cacs are good harem breeders and they do seem rather peaceful compared to my papagei

The A. bitaeniata seems to be a more bluish/ purple color morph. I think Mr Jacobs at southern apistos calls them "Curutu" but I am unsure of this distinction. I have kept these in the past and they seemed a bit more aggressive. I read some of Mike Wise's advice on the old Krib discussions saying to add a 3 watt night light so the female does not eat eggs by getting skittish. I will try that advice out on my fish like my Rams. Very neat tip that I had not thought of before.

I normally spawn Apistogramma in a low light semi planted tank ( java ferns etc) and I was wondering if people had done it in a more "bare bones tank" with just rock structures for hiding places and air sponge filters for filtration?

Any tips welcome

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….