• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Golden Pearls for fry

Inka4040

5 Year Member
So I've been having some green water problems on my newly set up planted tank, and after doing a water change yesterday, I noticed that my female baenschi was guarding a cloud of fry. From what I can see, there are around 30 or 40 fry, and the pair seem to be doing a great job of keeping the other fish at bay. I live in a small NYC apartment with roommates, so I don't really have the space (or time) to culture live food for the fry. I do have some golden pearls on hand, and was wondering if between the pearls, the infusoria, and maybe some hikari first bites, I'd have a good chance of raising the fry to a good size. Anyone have experience raising fry on these prepared foods?

Zack Wilson

5 Year Member
Generally speaking, I have had positive experiences with GP for fry. With apisto fry, though, I find they really want something moving to start with. If they get hungry enough, some of the fry might forage and try it. I had a situation about a year ago, where I didn't have bbs going, and one day found my baenshi breeding in their holding tank, just a couple weeks after import, and I used GP and decap bbs. Out of 60+ fry I managed to raise over 40. The growth was okay, but I think it took them a little time to get used to the diet. Once they were on it they did just fine and responded to feeding time quite well. I haven't always had such good luck with it, and some fry just won't touch it. Try it though.

One thing you might try that takes up very little space is microworms. You can keep a culture going in a small tupperware container just about anywhere, and they're easy to keep going so you always have live food.

Inka4040

5 Year Member
I have both decapped eggs and golden pearls, but am a bit wary of feeding the decapped eggs because of the other thread. Over 1/2 the bottom of the tank is covered in a mat of java moss a few inches thick, and there are quite a few indian almond leaves on the bottom, so it seems that there would be abundant infusoria to feed upon. Microworms need to be in the fridge right? I live in a Brooklyn NY apartment, and it is no exaggeration when I say that the fridge in the kitchen is the world's biggest mini-fridge. I don't know how my roommates would feel about sharing that limited space with a few cultures of microworms.

jose_vogel

5 Year Member
Could someone tell me what is "golden pearl"?

I feed the fries with baby brine shrimp (sometimes enriched with Selcon), decapsulated brine shrimp, daphnia pulex, microworms and grindal worms (I think they´re called "whiteworms"). Very rarely I feed them with vinegar eels (I don´t like to culture them).

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
I recommend suspending the dry foods in some water before before adding it to the fry tank. Feed lightly but frequently. I would consider keeping cherry shrimp with them to help eat any uneaten foods. I have never had a problem with cherry shrimp harming Apistogramma fry

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonaldStype

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….