• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Fry doing somersaults.

Hellfishguy

5 Year Member
I've noticed that after feeding my Dicrossus maculatus fry BBS one or two of them start swimming erratically in circles, eventually settling on the bottom & breathing heavily. I assume they eventually recover since I've never seen a corpse. I've had this experience with very small anabantoid fry but never with cichlids. What gives?

Hellfishguy

5 Year Member
I hadn't thought of that. I know that you're supposed to rinse BBS with fresh water before feeding, but I've never done that, & up til now I've never noticed any adverse effects.

gerald

5 Year Member
My guess is their feeding instinct keeps going after their belly is full, and live shrimp are backing up in the esophagus and throat. Eventually they either spit some out or pass them through. In nature it would be unlikely they would come across so much food in one place to over-gorge. Be careful if feeding blackworms to fry - they take longer to die in the gut than BS do, and can do damage while thrashing around. I always chop them up small on a cutting board before feeding to fish smaller than 1".

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….