• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Fontinalis antipyretica

MickeM

5 Year Member
Hi all..

I have bought myself a small bag of Fontinalis antipyretica this weekend..
Thougt I should have it in a tank with Apistogramma spec."Bolivia Gold" ( luelingi/ cf. luelingi ??), or some of my killi tanks..

It looks like it have a dark stem that would like to be attached to a branch/piece of wood..,
maybe that is just the colour the plant gets when it is growing older???

Does anybody know how to best keep this moss in an Apisto tank????

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I have bought myself a small bag of Fontinalis antipyretica this weekend..It looks like it have a dark stem that would like to be attached to a branch/piece of wood..maybe that is just the colour the plant gets when it is growing older???Does anybody know how to best keep this moss in an Apisto tank????
It is a dark green moss, the new growth is lighter green, but soon darkens.

These are 3 native N. European mosses. Fontinalis antipyretica is on the right, it is probably Drepanocladus aduncus on the left and I'm not sure what the middle one is, it maybe Calliergonella cuspidata. They will all grow in warmer water, but I'm not sure for how long.

native_aquatic_mosses_zpsrqroexxu.jpg

I've kept Fontinalis going for a couple of years, but it always dwindles in warmer tanks. I have my "stock" plant in an unheated tank and, even with no flow, it does well and bulks up relatively quickly.

cheers Darrel

MickeM

5 Year Member
Hi Darrel +all..

Excellent info!!
I will copy your tank and place some of my Fontinalis in a similar one .. ..:)
And also try with some stems in rather "cold" Apisto tanks.. (20-22 degrees Celsius..)

Perhaps they can thrive with Apistogramma borelli / trifasciata as long as I manage to keep algaes away..?

Thanks for helping!!

/Micke

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomek B.

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….