• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Female weak and isolated

danbb

I have a cacatuoides female who is chased by the other 2 females and one male. The tank is 80 cm long so she is caught in the middle. She found one secluded place in the surface and almost all the time she stays there. She is very weak, the last days she refuse food (frozen artemia and daphnia): like she was try to swallow, she chew but after she spit the food. Today I saw that she ate a little artemia. I don't think that she is sick, I think is just terrorized by the other fish, but she is not looking good...
The tank has a lot of plants but she chose that isolated spot to hide. What can I do? I don't have another tank available to move her.
Thanks,
Dan

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
There are very few things you can do - other than move her to another tank. The stress from aggression will eventually kill her. If it were my fish and had nowhere to put her, I'd give her away. Otherwise all you can do is remove all of the fish, rearrange the aquarium decor to make 5 or 6 different territorial boundaries in it. Then add all of the fish back in - and hope that the female isn't too weak to establish a territory of her own. At this stage it is unlikely to succeed. Sorry

gerald

5 Year Member
Can you get a perforated plastic tank-divider? If you can't separate her from the aggressive ones, she will probably die.

danbb

This is what I did for the moment: put her in a little rectangle device used for guppy's to give birth and she seems to be more fine. Still not eating but less stressed. Lets see...
Thank you.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I find that such breeder boxes are not a long-term (more than a few days) solution. They are just too small. They cause just as much stress as being harassed in the tank. I think Gerald's idea of a tank divider is a better solution.

danbb

It's just temporary, and so far so good: she is eating. I must do something next days, divide the tank or give her.

gerald

5 Year Member
If you must use a breeder-box for temporary holding, put in a couple small pipes (plastic or bamboo) and thick plants on top (Java-moss, Najas, Ceratophyllum, etc) or dead tree leaves to hide under and minimize stress.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….