• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Female Behavior Question

Jayha24

I'm 99% sure that one of my females has eggs. Her and her male spent a long time in a particular cave together about two days ago. Yesterday morning he was "patrolling" the rest of the tank while she stayed in the cave almost the entire day. She would come out occasionally to wiggle for him, and chase off the other female, but for the most part just hung out in the cave. Today she still hangs out in the cave, but comes out very frequently, swims around a bit, and then eventually goes back for a minute or two before leaving again.
Like I said I'm almost positive she has eggs, but the only way to know for sure is to look which I'm not really inclined to do so I don't disturb anything.
My question(s) is this: Does that seem like egg guarding behavior? And if she's leaving frequently does that mean that the eggs may have become a midnight snack, and she's just got some residual mommy instincts that make her keep checking the cave?
Actually one other question while I'm thinking about it is: Should I continue to feed her while she's on egg duty?
I usually squirt one or two glass worms into the cave so she has something to munch on (I've seen her nab them) and doesn't become tempted to eat her eggs?
Thanks to everyone who's been replying to my other posts! I'm gaining some great insight into how these little buggers operate.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….