• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Feeding habits...

Refael Hdr.

5 Year Member
I was wondering about the feeding habits of other Apisto breeders. I'll be glad if you could share some details about kinds of food you are using (dry, frozen, live, brands and types) frequency, number of feedings, quantities and other related information :) ...

beleg

5 Year Member
I am not a true breeder since i couldn't get a healthy batch of fry but i feed my A.agassizii as follows;

Sera's freeze dried bloodworms, daphnia , tubifex
frozen artemia adults
frozen bloodworms
white worms
freeze dried decapsulated artemia eggs

I feed at least 2 times a day , when i have time i feed more often up to 4 times. I feed the female more than the male giving her several white worms etc.

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
I feed my Apistos. fresh bbs twice a day. Most of them will spawn with this diet. I'll get 25-50 eggs per spawn depending on the species. If a certain species is not bulking up on this diet I'll also incluide live blackworms in the feeding rotation. I also try to give some flake food (O.S.I) to the Apistos. 1-2 times a week just to balance things out a little.

Jeff

mematrix

5 Year Member
Re to post

Hi I feed my apistos flake daily. then on a rotation Live daphnia, live blood worms when I get them , live mosquito larvie in season, live black worms,BBS, frozen blood worms,frozen adult brine shrimp, And occasionally some pellet foods aquadine mostly.

Curtis

Refael Hdr.

5 Year Member
By saying "breeder" I intended to anyone who's keeping Apistos, not only to those who literally breeds them. I think it's the right terminology of the word, isn't it? :rolleyes: ...

ed seeley

Staff member
5 Year Member
I give all my fish a wide range of frozen food, flake and a granular food. I also give them baby brine shrimp and microworms.
I try to feed them three times a day, but usually they only get two feeds when life intervenes!

gan

5 Year Member
April to November:
adults:
live plankton - mostly daphnia, cyclops + 2-3 times/week frozen artemia adults
1day/2 weeks - absolute fast

youngs:
live microplankton + microworms

December to March:
adults:
rotational - frozen plankton (self made), frozen artemia adults, frozen black worms and frozen 'phantom' larva (Chaoborus sp.)
sometimes - grindals, frozen krill
1day/2 weeks - absolute fast

youngs:
microworms + bbs

Never - tubifex and bloodworms in any form.

GAN

Kalin

5 Year Member
I feed my apistos frozen bloodworm, live Daphnia magna and/or flake 2-3x/day.

gan

5 Year Member
No - I catch plankton in natural reservoir. Therefore from April to November - during winter it is to cold to dabble :wink: . But this year it is so warmly that last Sunday I caught a portion:

plankton.jpg

GAN

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonaldStype

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….