• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Feeding - 2x Daily

Mozzulu

5 Year Member
Hey folks,

I've read most members saying they feed twice a day a variety of foods between live, frozen, and dry. Is feeding twice a day a rule necessarily?

I'm used to keeping small fish and feeding 2-3 times a week a small amount. The rest of the time the fish stay active feeding on small critters among the plants/moss. I understand that feeding this much might be necessary when conditioning a pair for breeding.

Does anyone notice significantly more waste being produced due to this heavy feeding in their Apisto tanks and do those tanks follow the regular weekly water change regiment?

Thanks!

gerald

5 Year Member
The advantage to frequent small feedings is that more of the food gets eaten quickly, leaving less to rot in the sand. Also young fish will grow faster with frequent feeding. In nature they eat small amounts all day long. But no, it's not critical that they be fed twice a day, especially if you're feeding live foods that will stay alive for a day or more (blackworms, tubifex, daphnia, etc).

Mozzulu

5 Year Member
The advantage to frequent small feedings is that more of the food gets eaten quickly, leaving less to rot in the sand. Also young fish will grow faster with frequent feeding. In nature they eat small amounts all day long. But no, it's not critical that they be fed twice a day, especially if you're feeding live foods that will stay alive for a day or more (blackworms, tubifex, daphnia, etc).

Thank you, Gerald. That makes a lot of sense. I guess I was thinking that the two meals per day were of reasonable size and not small ones per se.

Can they go a week or ten days without being fed a proper meal like other fish while on holiday or should that be avoided?

gerald

5 Year Member
Yes, if they're at least a month old. I wouldn't leave very young fry more than 3 days without food. They might survive, but health may be weakened.

Mozzulu

5 Year Member
Yes, if they're at least a month old. I wouldn't leave very young fry more than 3 days without food. They might survive, but health may be weakened.

Hi Gerald, sorry I'll be reviving this question.

Just had a follow up regarding fry feeding. I have a clutch that are free swimming today. How much BBS am I looking to feed them in the first couple of weeks? I understand they should be fed 2-3 times daily but unsure of the quantity? Is it just a pipette full of BBS per feeding or several pipettes?

Thanks in advance.

gerald

5 Year Member
There's no easy way to answer that. Depends on number of fry, density of BBS in your pipette, and how much gets lost in the gravel, filter, etc before the fry eat them. Just watch their bellies and behavior. When fry look plump and orange, and stop actively chasing the shrimp, then you've fed enough. After a few feedings you'll be able to judge better. And of course they'll eat MORE every day as they grow.

Mozzulu

5 Year Member
There's no easy way to answer that. Depends on number of fry, density of BBS in your pipette, and how much gets lost in the gravel, filter, etc before the fry eat them. Just watch their bellies and behavior. When fry look plump and orange, and stop actively chasing the shrimp, then you've fed enough. After a few feedings you'll be able to judge better. And of course they'll eat MORE every day as they grow.

Thanks, Gerald! That makes a lot of sense.

I also noticed that on the days they were very well fed, the mother herded the group to the part of the aquarium they go to at night a lot earlier than usual.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkalmanson

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….