• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Etroplus canarensis

Nebraska_cichlids

5 Year Member
I couldn't resist getting me some of these beauties. A small group of adult and nine juvenile Etroplus canarensis. a cichlid endemic to India. A curious fish that swims up to the surface to literally take the food out of your hands. Are there any other Etroplus keepers in this forum?
Etropluscanarensis1_CZ.jpg

Etropluscanarensis2_CZ.jpg

viejo

5 Year Member
They are on my want list for sure although these fish don't seem to resemble my recollection of Day's description of the species. I may have to take another look if I can find it.

PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn

5 Year Member
I'm strongly tempted to get some.

I found a source where I can get them at £10 each ($14) and so am tempted to pick up 8-12

viejo

5 Year Member
I can't come up with Day's description of canarensis from 'The fishes of India' but my somewhat fuzzy recollection is of a dark (blackish) fish with yellow pelvics (breeding dress) which is something that I am not seeing in pics of the present canarensis. I don't think that my senior memory has deteriorated all that much, especially re- things of a cichlid nature.

Nebraska_cichlids

5 Year Member
You may want to check out the article by Eric Hanneman in a recent issue of Cichlid News. It's really well done. If that's not enough, you could search the internet. There are at least two really entertaining descriptions of collection trips out there. I can't remember the website, though, and you'll have to google yourself.

viejo

5 Year Member
Yes, I've seen those articles but still want to have a re-read of Day's original 1877 description. I guess I'll have to make a pilgrimage to the university library unless someone out there may happen to know where I can find a copy (not the book but the description). Still can't help but wonder if the assumption may have been made that if an ETROPLUSspecies was found which was neither suratensis or maculatus, it must 'certainly' be canarensis :biggrin:. On further reflection, I seem to recall that Day's collection site was brackish, which may or may not have any significance.

MarkSmith

5 Year Member
It is important to realise that fish descriptions in the 1800's were not that accurate, at least in describing the color of a live specimen, since they were usually based upon dead specimens that had been sitting around in preserving fluids for sometime before actually being described. Had Day actually seen a live E. canarensis, there is no way he could have described it as being blackish with yellowish pectoral fins. His apparent color description is likely one of the preserved coloration. There is also no other cichlid species whatsoever found at the type locality for Etroplus, or total range of this species, other than the possibilitiy of the other two Etroplus near the coastline.

Your fish are E. canarensis, and once you finish your research, it will become obvious that the fish you have are E. canarensis. They match the type locality and have the same morphological measurements. If memory serves me correctly, it is the only exclusively freshwater Etroplus species. I am sure that Vinny Kutty, who collected this species (and perhaps wrote about it) would concure. Keep us informed on what you find out from Day's paper.

Fingerling

5 Year Member
Hey Nebraska, was just wondering how your E. Canarensis were doing? I got mine pretty much around the same time you got yours, and they are at a size of roughly 7-8cm now. Pretty fast growers in terms of size as they have massive appetites ( And i do feed them very frequently at moderate amounts each time ). Do their fast growth actually quickens the time they take to mature?

Picture027.jpg

Picture026.jpg

Picture025.jpg

Picture024.jpg

Nebraska_cichlids

5 Year Member
My canarensis are doing great, but seem to be a little smaller than yours. I can only second your comments regarding them having a healthy appetite. Like you, I feed mine a few times a day, providing small quantities of food (flakes, frozen food, and live plants). I keep mine in a blend of about 25% tap water and 75% distilled water. I'll be taking pictures this weekend and also check the water parameters for posting.

Glad to hear there is more hobbyists keeping this species. Did yours also come from Eric?

Janos

Fingerling

5 Year Member
That's great!!:biggrin:
Well i managed to get mine from another hobbyist in my area. Not sure if the source is from Eric as well.

Nebraska_cichlids

5 Year Member
Fingerling, sorry it took me so long to provide the information I promised. My water parameters:
Nitrate: 10-20 ppm
Nitrite: not detectable
pH: 6.5-7.0
KH: not detectable
GH: less than 30 ppm
Conductivity: 190 uS/cm
Temperature: 28 degrees Celsius (probably cooler during the winter)
Picture:
EtroplusCanarensis0809_02we.jpg

Fingerling

5 Year Member
Not to worry. Thats a very beautiful and healthy looking specimen there Nebraska :cool:

Mine lives in slightly harder water compared to yours 7.2-7.5, and at a temperature of 29-30 degree celcius. Do share more updates of them in future. Are you able to tell the sex genders of your fish currently?

Apisto_Dezign

5 Year Member
Love these Pearls. I read about these a year ago and have been eyeing for them for awhile and to my surprise as I was walking in my LFS the other day there was a group so I decided to get a group of 6. I'll be keeping these guys w/ my Altums in a 55 gallon temp qt tank until I get my 90gallon in.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….