• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

eranu's intro

eranu

5 Year Member
Hello all, newbie to the forum here :)

Just thought I'd post here first.

At the moment I have a fish house under construction. It's a very drawn out build due to other commitments, but it has given me loads of time to think things through. I've made a small web page about it, see the link in my signature if you like.

Basically, my water here in Sheffield (UK) is VERY soft, I have 18 2ft tanks, I like dwarf cichlids so I thought I'd have a go at them.

Do you think I'd only get away with pair forming species rather than harem types in a 22"L x 15"W x 12"H tank?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I think that you should be able to keep trios of most polygamous species in your tanks. Just keep an eye out for any super-territorial specimens that might appear.

eranu

5 Year Member
Hi mike/dragon thanks for the welcomes,

That's good news about the trio's, give me so much scope....must keep reading up :)

What's the general advice on a newbie for stocking suppliers. Do you think that it's a good idea to get fish from aquatic shops or breeders? I'm thinkin along the lines of the today's seemingly poor supply of good quality livebearers, is the trend the same with DC's?

ed seeley

Staff member
5 Year Member
Hi Eranu,
You might pick up the odd decent fish from your LFS. You're not too far from Wharf Aquatics (junction 28 M1) and they have some decent Czech Bred Apistos in at times, but there wasn't too much in last time I was there, a few nijsenni and I think some cacs, but they do get a decent range in at times.

I've ordered stuff from Andrew, at Biddulph Aquatics (http://www.biddulph-aquatics.co.uk/), and getting some fish from Peter Lovett, Dwarf Cichlid Aquatics (http://dwarfcichlid.co.uk/). They have some rare stuff and wild species and are on here quite a bit!

Hope that's the kind of stuff you were thinking of.

eranu

5 Year Member
Thanks for the welcome Ed,

I've seen a few nice DC's at Wharfe from time to time also. I visited Derwent Koi & Tropical a few weeks ago and she had probably the best shop supply apisto's I have ever seen, amazing colouration. She usually has aggies, caca's & borrelli but this time she also had hoignei (listed as variant 2?).

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonaldStype

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….