• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Electric blue rams

boydvd

5 Year Member
hi guys i picked up a pair of electric blue rams today. they look like turquoise blue discus in colour with very large eyes.

does anyone know what the babies may look like if i breed them with standard rams?

i hoped to pick up a breeding pair but they look to be like two boys now that i got them home. don't know if i can afford another $50 to get a female though.

boydvd

5 Year Member
also, my regular fish store told me the wholesalers can only get males of these. being a new strain, the breeders want to keep the cost of this fish high

Microman

5 Year Member
I have a group of 5 of these fish, 2male/3female, and already have 100s of free swimming fry.
In the UK they are selling at approx £10-£15 each and both sexes are readily available over here.
I think they will keep a relatively high price tag in the short term, Glasers were selling them at approx £9.50 trade.
Mark...

boydvd

5 Year Member
ok, i will have to be patient. but it can ake ages t get anything new in australia.

can i ask what kind of parents your electric blue rams are? do your rams look after their fry or do you remove the eggs?

also, should i let them breed with my standard blue rams and see what happens? i know there is ethical issue with hybridising. but they ar ethe same species i guess.

if i had been patient my regukar LFS could have got them for $41.50... thats what i get for being impatient...
also i love the look of these fish and think they ar emuch nicer than gold rams. i love the GBRs still though

gingerbeer

5 Year Member
Females are around in Aus - you gotta look and look carefully as the lack of any other colur than blue makes it hard to sex. You can only go by body shape and behaviour.

Microman

5 Year Member
Some pics of these fish on Glasers news page here: www.aquarium-glaser.de/en/news.php

Parents are typical for M ramirezi and will eat eggs/fry. I removed my first 2 batches of eggs to hatch artificially and am growing on in a small 12" by 6" by 6" plastic food container.
Another batch was eaten by the male almost immediately after spawning.

Mark...

electric eel

5 Year Member
i had never heard of these guys till you guys started this thread but i went down to the lfs that i sell rams and angels to from time to time yesterday.my buddy had ordered 3 pairs for himself and his son and he also got me a pair.they are medium sized fish just about the size that they should start breeding.they don't have the yellowish cap on the head like the ones glaser are offering though.do the ones you guys have have it.these guys have more blue on the head like a tourqouise discus.i must say i was'nt terribly impressed(they are far from full adult size though).if i had'nt done a lot of rams and knew how much the color typically improves after i've had them in a tank for 2 or 3 months i probably would have passed on them.i am curious to see what the fry will look like when i cross them to my tank bred line.

boydvd

5 Year Member
hi electric eel, my fish have a yellowish cap. they would be lovely if the whole head were covered in blue. it only took a couple of days for them ot toally colour up and they are gorgeous.

i can envision a tank full of them would look amazing. i prefer lots of smaller fish so these could be a discus replacement for me, so to speak.

i will try to mix them with my standard blue and see what happens.

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
I have seen Boydvd's photos of his EBR and they are spectacular. The comparison to some domestic strains of Blue Discus was an apt one.

Once they become more widely available I think they will be well received. At least they have a normal ram's body shape and fins. Not balloon or long fin or combination thereof.

In lieu of no EBR females I would cross them with German Blues then inbreed the fry. If the blue is the result of a single mutation then it may be possible to start your own line that way. With luck, breeding the siblings would result in 25% EBR just as will happen when breeding siblings of GBR X Golden Rams. There is nothing to lose by trying since Rams are short lived, try to breed them soon.

electric eel

5 Year Member
i guess its just a matter of personal taste gordon.i really don't care for wild type rams.i have been trying to come up with one with a blue body,red cap and all red fins.i've came pretty close but over the course of the last year i've flaked out and let most of my breeding stock go(was gonna quit the hobby altogether but could'nt).i only have one male and female left from that line.the male does have all red fins,no cap and mostly blue body.the fry that i got when i outcrossed these guys have a LOT of blue on them but i've lost a lot of the red.i've had people come in my fishroom and ask me what kind of saltwater fish they were.they were that colorful.got 23dollars for one single male at the 08 oca winter auction and 21 for another.unheard of prices for a single male ram at an auction around here.hopefully i can get my head out of my rear and get back with the program.i'm looking forward to playing with the fry i get out of these electric blues.gonna try to post some pics but i just don't get very good pic's with my camera.you need to try to grab a couple electric blue females boydvd.i'm sure you could make your money back on them.i'm so envious of all the guys that live in the u.k.,germany and netherlands cause it seems like they have such ready access to a lot of cool fish!

boydvd

5 Year Member
hi Electric Eel,
your fish sounds lovely!

well i bought 2 colourful female blue ram for the electric blues. they started off displaying to each other but now the electric blue male has lost interest and harrasses one of the females severely.

i went to another store and they all looked male. they were largish. i asked the shop guy and he said yes they were all male.

my regular fish shop called me and said they got 8 electric blues. i asked about females but he said they were very blue but small so couldn't tell if there were females.

and then i went to another fish store- (i think i have a fish addiction) - they said a lot of the fish from asia get hormones to make females look like males. this disheartened me a touch. maybe these two i bought were sterile transgendered fish?!?.

even with a discount at my lfs, i don't think i can afford to buy more if they are going to be sterile. it's sorta a wasted exercise unless i was just happy to keep them as lovely. $50 is a lot of money for a fish in a global financial crisis

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….