• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Eco_aqualizer

radiodug

5 Year Member
Has anyone tried this long enough to see any results? seems like every forum I visit to find info on it everyone is just trying it out. Want to know if it's a hocus pocus gadget or the real deal.

Doug

farm41

5 Year Member
Sorry, I don't buy it. Nothing can take the place of water changes. Snake oil if you ask me. 8O 8O

radiodug

5 Year Member
Hi all,

I want to put a plug in here for a new piece of aquarium equipment I got just over 1 month ago. This is called and Eco-aqualizer and can be view/purchased/read about at
http://ecoaqualizer.com/.

I added this inline with a Powerhead to my 55 G community tank. I have no measurable results that I can provide. BUT
my tank water has never been clearer, my fish have never been more colorful, happy and hungry and my amazon Sword is growing a blossom for the first time. Let me give you the basic set up of my tank as it sits right now.

55G with gravel/flourite/sand substrate. A penguin 330 Biowheel filter, and a single sponge filter (there to get seasoned for betta breeding). I have a Aquaclear 401 power head for water circulation. Attached to this, via 1/2 clear tubing is the eco aqualizer, and attached to the output end is another peice of 1/2 tubing which returns the water to the tank. That is the extent of my set up.

Occupants of the tank
3 4-5 inch koi blusher angelfish
2 4-5 inch double dark angelfish
7 3-4 inch boesemani rainbows
3 3-4 inch Madagascar rainbows
2 4-5 inch New guinea Rainbows
1 2 inch dwarf neon rainbow
5 female guppies
4 1-3 inch wild sailfin mollies
3 2-3 inch brochi splendids
2 1 inch pygmy puffers
2 4-5 inch blue panaques
3 1-3 inch corydora sterbei
3 1-2 inch corydora burgessi
3 1-3 inch coydora trilineatus
2 3-4 inch african butterfly fish
3 5-6 inch farlowellas
2 2-3 inch neon swordtails.

As you can see this tank is very crowded. I do a 30% water change 1xper week, rinse my filters and use no other media for filtering. I also have 4 large Pomacea bridgesii. They lay eggs all the time. I used to have a sever algae problem, and had to change water every third day. Since puttin in this unit, my water changes have decreased as shown above. My filters catch more crap and my algae problem has almost disappeared. Now get this, the unit has a 10 year life span, has no moving parts, requires no power other than the powerhead to push water through it, and is guarenteed for 180 days, complete customer satisfaction.

Well today I was rearranging my configuration and broke off a connector. I wrote to the company and ask them if they had any idea what I could do to fix it. By the time they responded, they had a replacement in the mail to me, with a new type connector, and on the honor system requested I return the broken unit. No Cost but shipping.

I give this item my fullest recommendation. My Fish are disease free, healthy happy, more colorful than ever before.

Doug

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
:D Cool! Science!

Reading through the material on the website is a little confusing. I understand every single term that they are using, but the context in which they use the terms is vague. For example, they talk about the release of 'halogens' from bonding with toxins, and use Na+Cl- (their formula) as an example. They further state that the Na+Cl- has a sterilizing effect once it is released. Salt, that is what the NaCl is, can indeed sterilize stuff (think about salting meat as a preservative), but I cannot believe that the levels of salt in an aquarium would approach those concentrations.

The concept, however, makes sense. The unit basically shakes up the macromolecules that are made up of nutrients and wastes (toxins as they call them) so that the toxins can then be filtered out. I notice that they use the unit in line with a skimmer, and that the skimmer can then somehow tell the different between good stuff and bad stuff. Skimmers do not work that way. A skimmer is a mechanical filter. They remove anything that can be caught up in the 'scum'. That includes macronutrients. What skimmer do not remove are very small molecules, like ammonia and nitrite. The point of a skimmer is to remove the proteins and lipids before they degrade into nitrogenous wastes.

I think the idea has merit, but I also understand the the unit is not physically removing the wastes (toxins); it relies on a filter to do that. No filter can totally remove the toxins for a closed system. All aquariums are closed systems, and are thus susceptible to accumulation of wastes. The company does not promote the cessation of water changes. They suggest that fewer are needed.

If I were using one of these units, I would make sure that I ran it inline with a strong carbon filter or skimmer (which is hard to get to work in freshwater), and I would chart the toxin levels very carefully for a while. I might be convinced to reduce water changes, but I would still do them.

I also do not agree with the company that aquariums without this unit are inherently unhealthy. I think that statement is pure propoganda.

Maybe I will ask them to send m a couple to run through the mill with my students next year. Think that they would go for it?

Woodsy

5 Year Member
Some of the best tanks I have ever seen run on box filters. I believe there was a similar debate when they first brang out wet/dry trickle filters, and it is interesting to note that trickle systems used in plated aquaria is not always such a good idea. I would imagine that using a skimmer would yeild fairly similar results.

P.S: Got any pictures of the butterflies?

mak

5 Year Member
Ecosystem "Eco Aqualizer" - B.S. (for "bad science")

Hello folks,

Just took a look at Ecosystem's web site listed above.

My "day job" is a chemistry professor researching and teaching about the physical chemistry of biological systems.

The "Eco Aqualizer" and the "science" behind it is a complete crock of bovine excrement. It's completely absurd. ("reactive water" my &^%!) If anyone wants a detailed rant, I'll be happy to do so... but for now I think I'll just try to keep my blood pressure down.

My apologies if I offend anyone who's got the device, but the sellers are charlatans & should be put out of business.

mk

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Mak... go ahead and expand upon your insight. I looked at that website pretty carefully, and I came away with a slightly different idea of what they were doing. I did not come to the 'reactive water' conclusion you did.

radiodug

5 Year Member
yes please expand on your rant. I believe in results, and I have the Eco-aqualizer and I see results. So you can fling whatever bovine excrement you wish. I see positive results in my tank.

Doug

mak

5 Year Member
yes please expand on your rant.

Okey-dokey...

The web site claims that the device increases the reactivity of water. This is not a well-defined term... you can change the "reactivity" of something by changing its activity (thermodynamics) or decreasing its barrier to reaction (activation energy). Neither is likely given the device's purported science.

The site claims that the device makes use of two different effects:

ECO-Aqualizer combines magnetic energy and far infrared photons to restore water's reactivity

Magnetism has been used by a variety of devices in attempts to purify water. While it's not directly on-point, you could look at http://www.csicop.org/si/9801/powell.html from the Skeptical Inquirer for a discussion of these devices. The only devices which have been shown to have any effect utilize superconducting magnets far bigger than the average 55g tank (and the results here are mixed). While magnetic fields do have an effect on molecules, that effect is far smaller than the thermal energy under "normal" (aquarium) conditions and is insignificant under those conditions.

As for far infrared photons... since the device is not powered, it must rely on the same source of these beasts as the rest of the environment, namely, heat. The concept is called black-body radiation, and for this device to put out any more or different "far infrared photons" than anywhere (or anything) else in the environment would violate the second law of thermodynamics.

There are also claims of disruption of hydrogen bonding, "encouraging reactivity". This claim of disruption cannot be backed up by the energetics of the interaction of a magnetic field with liquid water.

All in all, there's a lot of really hokey science. The authors/owners of the web site know the jargon, but don't know how the science works.

As for claimed positive results... I can't argue. Aquariums are living, multivariable systems which go through cycles. But this device is a lot of hooey and is not likely to be the cause. (Again, no disrespect meant to anyone who may have purchased the device... )

mk

"Young lady, in this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics!!" -- Homer Simpson

radiodug

5 Year Member
I felt the above objection was explained very well, However I also felt that your objections were answered on the Ecoaqualizer.com webpage, specifically the excerpt from the articles section of the webpage (see below). I understand that there will always be those who feel that new fangled gadgets have no place on these horse drawn buggy paths and the world is flat, and that's fine. I don't pretend to have a knowledge of water chemistry, I just know that I am getting the following results.
1. I am getting more production from the filters (they catch more crap)
2. the water seems crisper, cleaner
3. the fish are more colorful
4. the fish eat better
5. many spawn contiously
6. the tank is very heathly in spite of overcrowding
7. the plants are reproducing even under less than ideal lights.

Anyway here is an excerpt from the articles section
http://ecoaqualizer.com/articles.html

ECO-Aqualizer serves many functions, but in simplicity, it restores water reactivity. Reactivity is the ability of water to undergo chemical change. This may sound bad to an aquarist especially when we are trying to limit the fluctuations in the aquarium, however molecular interactions such as those that occur in the nitrogen cycle, are essential for maintaining equilibrium of any ecosystem. With this in mind, we need to know that water reactivity is directly affected by the extensiveness of hydrogen bonding between water molecules.

A quick explanation of hydrogen bonding. One water molecule is composed of one oxygen and two hydrogen. Individual water molecules are connected together in an icosahedral cluster, held together by the attractive forces of positive hydrogen of one water molecule and the slightly negative charge of oxygen of another. This is called a hydrogen bond.

In an aquarium environment saturates such as food, nitrates & ammonia from waste, etc are continuously added to your tank. Water being a universal solvent will bond to these saturates increasing the extensiveness of the icosehedral clustering and as well the number of hydrogen bonds connecting together this cluster. Water becomes “over crowdedâ€Â, so to speak, the distance between molecules decrease, increasing the bond strength between water molecules and solute ions. This is what causes a reduction in the REACTIVITY of the water environment.

The increased hydrogen bonding decreases the number of molecular reactions that are essential in maintaining balance. Filters attempt to remove excess saturates, however due to increased bonding and bond strength between water and solutes, which causes less molecular interactions, toxins removal becomes more difficult and eventually addition of toxins exceed that of removal, and water changes become necessary. Important molecular interactions such as those that dictate oxidation and reduction potentials are reduced, throwing the delicate balance of chemical interactions out of balance. As well nutrient absorption from water becomes increasing difficult as reduced diffusivities caused by less active participation of water molecules inhibits diffusion of essential nutrients across cell membranes.

ECO-Aqualizer reduces these hydrogen bonds through the use of magnetic fields and far infrared light waves.

MAGNETICS: Water is bi-polar, meaning it has a positive and negative charge. When passed through a magnetic field, the positive pole of our magnets attempt to realign the negative charge of the molecules and repel the positive charged molecules, and vice versa. This attempted realignment of charges and repelling causes breaking of hydrogen bonds. This reduces the extensiveness of hydrogen bonding in water, increasing water reactivity. The breaking of bonds is even more prevalent on the bonds entrapping toxins in solvent shells because their bond strength is less than that between water molecules. Thus once neutralized solvents such as chlorine, which once neutralized and trapped in these solvent shells become active again to bond to harmful bacteria, naturally sterilizing water.

FAR INFRARED: Water absorbs a wide spectrum of light waves, particularly that of far infrared. Far infrared energy when absorbed by water, has a vibrational effect on hydrogen bonds. This vibrational effect causes a 'stretching' or 'bending' of hydrogen bonds and ultimately weakens and even breaks the molecule bonding depending on the extent of the vibration. The result further increases water reactivity. Also, the far infrared spectrum has been found to be very detrimental to certain strains of harmful bacteria, therefore acting as a natural sterilization effect on water. This quality has a direct link to both helping improve stress responses and enhancing immune responses of livestock.

With a combined effects of magnetic fields and far infrared, hydrogen bonding is significantly reduced, resulting in an increased REACTIVITY of water. This creates a greater interaction of molecules and therefore a greater tendency for water to undergo essential chemical reactions. These natural energy reactions all help restore balance to water that was thrown into the realm of unbalance due to the mismatch of filter capability and saturate addition. Noticeably users will see filters collect more waste, PH fluctuations reduce, ORP and DO levels increase, and nitrate and ammonia levels decrease. Your tank water will regain natural equilibrium. Anyone can claim these results, but the best judges of the resulting healthy balanced ecosystem are fish and coral and their sustained health and increased activity will reflect this.

To summarize, the break-up of water clusters cause greater molecular interaction; which translates into water that is more reactive, or livelier. This can be measured by higher ORP, energy potential (eV), and higher DO (dissolved oxygen), and reduced water changes. In consequence, livestock will gain:

1) easier diffusion of nutrients through cellular membranes,

2) reduced osmosis blockage

3) increased efficiency of immune system functioning

4) overall reduced stress.

In nature, there are many factors that naturally maintain water reactivity, e.g., the cycle of evaporation and condensation, absorption of far infrared rays from the sun, or even the ocean floors own magnetic fields. These processes however, have been lost in a captive aquarium environment, ECO-Aqualizer simply helps restores these lost natural forces.

A famous marine biologist once wrote in Aquarium Frontiers, "aging water gets rid of the gaseous stuff like chlorine!"

This is a true statement, and part of the reason how ECO-Aqualizer gets such results. We all do water changes to replenish aging water. But by doing so we have interrupted the cycle of a natural ecosystem. By adding new elements, phosphates, silicates, etc, the cycle must restart its program. It is important to replenish the chlorine, because of its ability to be a natural sterilizer against nasty bacteria. But what if we could accomplish this NATURALLY, such as ECO-Aqualizer freeing-up chlorine that has been neutralized. Then, chlorine could do its job naturally and the balance of ecosystems would go undisturbed. All molecules interactions would remain active in participation resulting in reduced toxicity, but more importantly, a more lively energy force to serve as the "battery source" that all life depends on to properly function, especially in captivity."

The ECO-Aqualizer is a small tube-shaped device that can be used on both freshwater and marine systems. As water flows through the tube, (you supply your own pump) the water's hydrogen bonds are manipulated with magnetism and then further manipulated with 'light' energy, thereby resulting in an effluent that contains an increased amount of oxygen. This resulting condition improves system redox, which is a very favorable result! There are no electrical connections, nor is there any on-going maintenance. Set it up and forget it. And, I've installed a test unit on a friend's aquarium. One, which I must say needed an improvement in its water quality. Within two weeks the system's water was much clearer and fishes appeared to be healthier and more lively.

A disclaimer here. I am not nor have ever been associated with EcoAqualizer other than being a very happy customer.

Doug[/b]

aspen

5 Year Member
>>'A famous marine biologist once wrote in Aquarium Frontiers, "aging water gets rid of the gaseous stuff like chlorine!" '

>>'It is important to replenish the chlorine, because of its ability to be a natural sterilizer against nasty bacteria.'

the first statement is true. but coupled with the second statement this is totally misleading. we do not want any chlorine in our fishtanks- period. it is a bad thing. it is bad for fish and bad for your bio-filtration. i age my water to dissipitate the chlorine BEFORE it gets into my tanks. i don't ever want to introduce chlorine into my tanks.

i consider this device to be in a similar vein to the copper bracelets worn by people who swear they ease their pain in the bodies. maybe there is some benefit, i don't know. but i think the sciencific description was an after thought.

i don't dispute that the fish in your tanks are doing well. maybe they are better for this new piece of equipment. but i doubt the whole description of how it works and why.

jmo, rick

radiodug

5 Year Member
The article I quoted was from Bob Goemans, a writer for Marine World Magazine, not a claim posted by the Makers of Eco-Aqualizer. The technical stuff quoted was a summarization of Carl Denzer's information.

Ironic ain't it? That a person that writes for a Marine World Mag would support chlorine replenishment.

I reread that portion and I do not believe he intended to mean water for our aquariums, but water supplies in General and that freeing up Chlorine meant not having to repeatedly add chlorine to systems, thus destroying our life cycles with so much free chlorine in our environment. But that's just my take on it.

Doug

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
I have a friend who is allergic to the chlorine that is used in pools, but he wanted a pool. He has a system that uses NaCl only. This results in Cl- ions being in the water. The pool is cleaner than most and does not have that nasty chlorine smell or taste. It is literally salt water... but only one type of salt. I really have no idea of concentrations that are maintained, but the water seems less salty than marine water.. but marine water has many different salts in it.

aspen

5 Year Member
ted, does he have a salt reactor instead of using chlorine? there is a new device for pools in which salt is added to the pool and the reactor cleans the pool, but is has to maintain a certain salinity. i have wired 2 of these, but the pool guys are not that helpful with the technical info. they seem to be using some electroplating method of ion exchange or something like that. the water is mildly salty, but is absolutely crystal clean and clear, yet doesn't irritate the eyes and is much cheaper in the long run in chlorine.

rick

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Yep.. that's it. A salt reactor. It seems to be working out very well. It has been up for about 18 months, and we use the pools out here year round.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkalmanson

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….