• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Early Christmas gift!

Hellfishguy

5 Year Member
RSCN1994.JPG
RSCN2007.JPG

Woke up on 12/15 to find my female Dicrossus maculatus guarding her first spawn on top of an Anubias leaf. The eggs hatched out on 12/18. Since then she's been moving the larvae to various Anubias leaves, but today she placed them on an oak leaf right near the front glass. Been looking forward to seeing those yellow ventrals for a long time!

Hellfishguy

5 Year Member
I know that they're wild-caught, but from where I haven't a clue. I got the female from Jeff Michels & the males from an LFS (!), where they were labeled as checkerboard barbs.

MickeM

5 Year Member
At this size.. I would say/guess quite soon..(at least if no other stronger/dominant fish is in the same tank!!)

Don`t know if the gender-ratio follows the temp., like with many Apistos..
..where the gender is developed "according" to what temp. is in the water ..,the first weeks as free-swimming fry..!! ??
(I guess this still is the present /most "correct" thesis..???)

Hellfishguy

5 Year Member
I'd heard that pH determined the sex ratio in D. maculatus, with a low pH (5.0 - 5.5) resulting in a majority of females. I've been raising my fry in very soft water (gH >1<) with a pH close to neutral, which are supposedly the conditions in their natural biotope. I'm hoping for a more balanced sex ratio.

MickeM

5 Year Member
OK.. interesting...
This is the case with other fishes too I`ve heard (killie-fishes)...but I don`t know if it has been verified/stated in experiments..

gerald

5 Year Member
That's not bad for 4 months old, and they do look healthy and have good body form. Assuming you plan to keep these mac's going for multiple generations, dont just pick the largest ones to keep for your next generation. "Late-bloomers" can often have the best colors, from what i've seen with A. macmasteri and P. pulcher that i've maintained over multiple generations.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I've never heard/read that the sex ratio of Dicrossus is pH dependent. Is this anecdotal (hearsay) or is there a study on this? I do agree that D. maculatus is from clearwater streams with very soft, near neutral water values, so its a good place to start with breeding.

gerald

5 Year Member
Unless they controlled for other factors (temp, etc) with other batches of fry, that may not be a reliable observation. But it does show that some environmental variables are probably responsible for sex determination, beyond simple X-Y genetic determination..

gerald

5 Year Member
Hellfishguy - do you still have these D.mac's? I need a couple females.
If by chance you need males, Don Kinyon in VA has extra males.

gerald

5 Year Member
Don K just told me that his pair came from you, so my males are grandsons of your fish.
If you (or anyone) knows of other folks in USA keeping D. maculatus, please let me know.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
h1ns

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….