• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Doramectin

fishgeek

sounds very much like an avermectin
if so drugs from this family of medications are used to delouse salmon that are farmed
i thought i had previously read something about toxicity though i guess that is only with over dose

if it is an averectin then it should be useful against arthropod and nematode parasite's
it is a gaba inhibitor and so can cause neuromuscular blockade thoug in mammals it can not gain access to the brain so is relatively safe , not sure about fish though

andrew
sorry to answer your question no experience with doramectin
ivermectin is used at 0.1-0.2mg/kg im if you know potency in comparison prehaps you may trial?
your a vet right?

what were you trying to treat mike?

Noddy65

5 Year Member
Thanks Andrew
It is in the avermectin/ivermectin class. Its mostly used in sheep and pigs here but we also use it (off label) for demadex in dogs.

I have nothing particular in mind, we have it on our self at work that's all.

Ive heard mixed things about the ivermectin class of drugs, some say its toxic (at therapeutic dosage), others say its safe at therapeutic dosage. Admittedly this is info off the web so theres no real surprise there's conflictng views.

Im thinking of trialling it on some less valuable fish to gauge the response, of course those less valuable ones are usually the tough buggers that are difficult to kill anyway.

Yeh mate, like you Im a small animal vet..

Mike

fishgeek

talk to the fisheries department , like i say it definetly has been written up in english scottish farmed salmon as a drug (ivermectin that is)
unless the fish have that gaba receptor problem or differing blood brain membrane then should be ok , i too thought it was particularly toxic (i guess i was just lumping it with OP's) until i read some a little more

are you wanting it for worming or external arthropod parasites?

Noddy65

5 Year Member
Both actually but Im also interested in trialling it to control hydra.
Flubendazole is good for hydra and not toxic to fish but I cant get it in Aus anymore. Again from what Ive heard the other 'azoles' can be toxic to fish (but Im happy to be corrected there)

Mike

fishgeek

i have veterinary texts with dose's for fenbendazol, levanisol and mebendazol , with only precautions of levamisol and anorexia at higher dosing
mebendazol and closantel are now available as a combined product in the USA

even luferon is written up
do they no longer produce ivermectin?

fenbendazol has got to be a useful opton as it worms and is now suggested as the drug of choice for giardia ahead of metronidazol , my mind wonders whether that makes it hexamit/spironucleus whatever we hobbyist are calling it useful..
i have even though about trying the 'panacur favourites' crumbled in the tank to see if the fish eat them... pity i finally ridded my self of my guppy plaque

internet is great for rapid spread of misinformation

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….